Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 PM

New to Mac and to SuperDuper - Need a little help

Hi! I'm pleased to see there's apparently a lot of active support for this product. I did read a lot of reviews that praised SuperDuper highly before buying the registered version last week.

Unfortunately, due to being new to both SuperDuper and Macs, I need some help. I am actually a very skilled former PC user - was actually a network admin for a major corporation, Certifed NetWare Administrator, understand all about the concepts of full vs incremental backups, etc., etc., etc. which is all the more reason I'm both excited (and a little impatient) about getting SuperDuper up and running. But I guess I'm discovering the quirks and differences of Mac as I go along. This is going to be a long post but I'm hoping to make sure and provide everything dnanian needs to quickly determine the root of the problem.

I'm trying to create a personalized script, have tried several versions of it to include and exclude various files, but in general the backup starts to run, evaulates files, and then either hangs in the middle or finishes...but doesn't copy the files I wanted. I think I have a combination of one or more of the following problems: 1) space limitations due to the way Mac and/or SuperDuper need to use free disk space during the copy process and 2) being personally a little unclear on the proper order of include and exclude commands in writing SuperDuper scripts to do what I want.

I might add also that I am intrigued and interested in ultimately using SuperDuper to its fullest potential and, after perhaps purchasing an additional external hard drive with more space if necessary, using it to provide a complete clone/backup of the entire Mac hard drive. That would be wonderful...and far more than I ever expected when purchasing this software. For now though I would be happy with being able to fully backup, and then from then forward SmartUpdate backup, all or even a portion of my user files depending on space limitations.

Here are the facts:

1) Disc space and usage:

a) From Finder's GetInfo, my Macintosh HD (I am using a newly purchased desktop iMac) has Mac OS Extended format, capacity 148.73 GB, available 51.2 GB, used 97.53 GB.

b) I have established only one user account on this computer, my own, which I have named "Mike." I did turn on FireVault for this account, and understand per the SuperDuper manual that that can be problematic; however would like to avoid turning it off if possible, and actually even right now do not have the space required to turn it off.

c) Again from Finder's GetInfo, when I click on the firevaulted "Mike" user account within Macintosh HD, and do GetInfo on that, I receive the same figures as mentioned in a) above.

d) The external drive to which I am trying to copy is a Western Digital USB device, formerly used in conjunction with my old PC and formerly formatted as NTFS but which through due diligence and research I successfully erased (AFTER moving the data to my Mac hard drive, of course ) and reformatted as Mac so that I can now read and write to it. Finder's Get Information on it now reads: "Format, Mac OS Extended (Journalized), Capacity 232.76 GB, Available 179.35 GB, used 53.47 GB on disk. I have named this volume "Backup." The "used" space is taken by the files actually copied during my latest attempted backup described further below; I did start by completely erasing this drive (through SuperDuper's "erase, then copy" option) before starting that backup.

e) So as I see it, by pure mathematics, I should be able copy the whole "Mike" user directory of only 97.53 gb easily onto this 232.76 gb external drive. Problem is, it's not working. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the size of "Mike" being more than the remaining free space on my Mac hard drive (the same issue that would prevent me from turning off Firevault if I needed to do that - does Mac actually require an equal amount of free space for everything it copies to anywhere, and if so how do I get around that? (I don't necessarily expect an aswer to every one of the thoughts I throw out along the way unless the issue actually applies...I'm just suggesting thoughts as they go through my mind in case they help provide clues to the ultimate solution).

2) File structure of the Mike user directory that I'm trying to back up:

The Mike user directory currently contains the following subfolders, some of which are standard Mac folders, others are ones I created to further organize data according to my own needs:

Aliases (a folder in which I just keep Mac Aliases which I've created. I don't like them cluttering my other folders but found that if I move them to trash they no longer work).

Desktop

Documents (within which I have created multiple subfolders full of files, all of which I would like backed up, and which per GetInfo is currently using 1.68 gb).

Downloads (currently empty)

F Drive (contains files I moved over that used to be on the aforementioned external USB drive when I used it with my PC)

Library

Movies

Music (contains an iTunes library of over 53 GB. I'd like to back this up - and mathematically as shown above it should be possible - but I've even experimented with various attempts to exclude this from the backup in case space is an issue).

Movies (currently empty)

Pictures (I currently have 3 GB of photos in here per GetInfo)

Public

Sites

3. I've created a SuperDuper backup script - actually have rearranged it many times but here's my latest configuration. Like I said by way of introduction, I'm sure I'm not completely clear on the concepts and that this is likely where I actually need help. I've called this "EMG Data Backup". Currently, I have included no scripts in the included scripts section (yes, I tried the "backup - all files" and "backup - user files" here at different times in previous configurations, but currently tried not including anything here, for fear that those scripts were including files that were taking up too much space). I have added the following commands, in the order shown, in the Scripts Command section:

copy Users/Mike/Documents/Data
ignore Users/Mike/Music (thinking this command would save the space in case it was my 53 gb iTunes library causing the problem)
copy Users/Mike/Documents/Archive
copy Users/Mike/Documents/Quicken Backup Folder
copy Users/Mike/Documents/Quicken Data.qdfm

That's my script as-is for now. As you can see, I'm trying to pick out only certain subfolders within Users/Mike/Documents in the hopes of avoiding space problems, but, as I said above, the numbers don't support a space problem, and truth be told I'd really rather just back up everything within Users/Mike/Documents - or, better yet, Users/Mike - or best of all - the entire Mac hard drive - which as you can already see STILL wouldn't take up all the space on my external drive. (Random thought popping out - could it be that a larger external - or a FireWire external - would solve my problem? Or perhaps moving some big files off of my hard drive - my iTunes library for example - and onto a second larger external so that none of my drives were more than 50% used, if that indeed is a Mac requirement for copies of any kind as I'm starting to suspect?

NOTE: I'm breaking this up into two posts, as I've exceeded the 10,000 character space limitation in this one. Post continued below.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 PM

4. Next, here's the log of my latest attempt to execute the above mentioned script (so far - I've actually still got SuperDuper running as I type this, and as you can see I've been patient and let it run for a LONG time!)

| 10:03:14 AM | Info | SuperDuper!, 2.1.4 (82), path: /Applications/SuperDuper!.app, Mac OS 10.4.10 build 8R2232 (i386)
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Started on Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:03 AM
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Source Volume: Macintosh HD, mount: /, device: /dev/disk0s2, media: WDC WD1600JS-40TGB0, interconnect: Internal SATA, file system: "Journaled HFS+", OS: 10.4.10 (8R2232), capacity: 148.73 GB, used: 97.46 GB, directories: 101291, files: 422613, ejectable: NO, ACLs: Disabled
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Target Volume: BACKUP, mount: /Volumes/BACKUP, device: /dev/disk1s3, media: WD 2500JB External, interconnect: External USB, file system: "Journaled HFS+", OS: N/A, capacity: 232.76 GB, used: 0.07 GB, directories: 4, files: 9, ejectable: NO, ACLs: Disabled
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Copy Mode : Erase, then copy files
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Copy Script : EMG Data Backup.dset
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Transcript : BuildTranscript.plist
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | PHASE: 1. Prepare to Copy Files
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing Macintosh HD
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying the integrity of volinfo.database
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | volinfo.database OK
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on Macintosh HD
| 10:03:14 AM | Info | Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for Macintosh HD
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | Permissions on '/' are enabled.
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Erasing BACKUP
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preserving BACKUP UUID
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | 78BA7AC0E4DAE4F7
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preserving spotlight indexing state
| 10:03:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Erasing BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring BACKUP UUID (78BA7AC0E4DAE4F7)
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | 78BA7AC0E4DAE4F7
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | /Volumes/BACKUP:
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | Indexing enabled for volume.
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | Indexing enabled on BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | Permissions on '/Volumes/BACKUP' are enabled.
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that BACKUP ACL support matches Macintosh HD
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Preserving Spotlight state on BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Disabling Spotlight search indexing on BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | PHASE: 2. Copy Files
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Copying files from Macintosh HD to BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Cloning Macintosh HD to BACKUP
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | Copying copy files using script: /Users/Mike/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/EMG Data Backup.dset
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | Loading 5 commands from copy script /Users/Mike/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/EMG Data Backup.dset
| 10:03:25 AM | Info | /
| 10:03:28 AM | Info | /cores
| 10:03:28 AM | Info | /usr
| 10:05:55 AM | Info | /.Spotlight-V100
| 10:05:55 AM | Info | /.Trashes
| 10:05:55 AM | Info | /.vol
| 10:05:55 AM | Info | /Applications
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | /automount
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | /bin
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | /Network
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | /Desktop
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | /Users
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(28): No space left on device
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Users/.Mike/Mike.sparseimage, lstat(): 0
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/BACKUP/Users/.Mike/Mike.sparseimage, lstat(): 0
| 03:35:13 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().

| 05:04:26 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto.

Can't promise I'll leave this up running until receiving a reply, but for now it's still running just in case anything more actually happens.

Finally, here's what it's apparently copied to my backup drive so far:

Applications (which does indeed apparently contain actual copies of my applications within it!!! - amazing as I didn't intend to ask for it!!!)

Automount

Desktop

Network

Users

---- and all of these last four folders are empty except for Automount which contains two additional empty subfolders called servers and automount.

I've also noticed that no matter how I configure the script, SuperDuper always says it's going through and evaluating over 422,000 files (which I guess is the total of all the files on my whole hard drive) - regardless of any ignore statements or what I've asked to have copied. It does go through the evaluation more quickly or slowly depending on just what I've asked for, however. But in any case, it usually gets to a point, after running for maybe 10 minutes and having "evaluated" somewhere around 175,000 or so files, where it LOOKS like it just "hangs." At that point I've usually just given up and stopped SuperDuper - but this latest time I just left it running and was amazed to find something actually happened five and a half hours later as can be seen from my above log.

(And woah - I see things are still happening, because I just went back to the log and found the new latest line - " | 05:04:26 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto." in there, which I've also now pasted into the above copy of the log for you but which wasn't there when I started typing this post.

So - what's going on? How do I need to tweak my scripts, and what else if anything do I need to do to accomplish all SuperDuper is capable of doing for me? I'm willing to invest in additional external space if necessary but I sure don't want to have to swap out and upgrade my Mac internal hard drive!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Ok. Here's the problem: you're using FileVault. And, FileVault stores all your files in one gigantic file, so no excludes will work. On top of that, as documented, you really should log out of your FileVault account, and into a non-FV account, when you back up.

While it's backing up your FV account, it's going to look unresponsive, because it's copying one HUGE file (your entire Home is in a file).

Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 PM

Wow! That was fast! I was hoping it would be simple.

Given the sizes of my directories (mathematically even the entire FireVault account should fit), could I simply:

1) Create a new non firevault account as you recommend (I'm not sure how to do that but hopefully can research it through Mac help or the Net) and then

2) Back up my entire firevault account (since it does take up less space than my entire external drive) if I just

3) accept that it will take a l - o - n - g time (hours? days?) the first time around but then be faster once I've done that painful first time backup and can smartupdate that in the future?

If so, how specifically should I write the script to back up the entire firevaulted account -or would one of the standard ones do that for me as-is?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM

I also see space is apparently still an issue in some way, because of this message from towards the end of my above log file -

| 03:35:13 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(28): No space left on device
Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

The reason you ran out of space was that your FileVault "file" was open and being extended as it was being copied. That's why you need to log out and into a non-FV account.

Smart Update can't "smart" update the inside of a file, only the file itself. So, you'll always end up copying the entire FileVault volume every time you back up.

The only way to work around this is to back up everything but your Home folder (e.g. exclude /Users/your-account in a script), and then separately back up your FileVault volume (which will appear in the source drop-down) with "Backup - all files" to its own partition.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Thanks for your help. Actually last night before you replied, I did indeed create a separate non-vaulted admin account and ran the backup-all files script. It did apparently do a complete backup successfully and took only about three hours doing it. I did then go back in under my regular account and found the "sparse image" of my entire Vaulted account and was able to figure out how to mount and read it.

This looks like it accomplishes at least everything I initially expected - and more - from SuperDuper. (On my PC I was only backing up data files and not system files). So thanks for your help.

Last edited by MikeG; 08-12-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

OK, Mike -- glad you're u and running as expected, or better!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Just wonder if you could do me one more favor and check out the log from this backup that "worked." Just in case you see anything obviously problematic or that screams of opportunities for tweaking or improvement. Obviously I'm used to just copying data files (in the event of disaster, reformatting the computer from square one and then loading my data, and yes I know how onerous that is). But I just wondered if the below log implies I might actually be able to boot and reload from this backup should the need ever arise - and assuming I were using the right level of hardware? (I do seem to recall your documentation saying I'd probably have to start backing up to a firewire drive to do that as USB device performance can't be guaranteed).

| 06:19:58 AM | Info | SuperDuper!, 2.1.4 (82), path: /Applications/SuperDuper!.app, Mac OS 10.4.10 build 8R2232 (i386)
| 06:19:58 AM | Info | Started on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 6:19 AM
| 06:19:58 AM | Info | Source Volume: Macintosh HD, mount: /, device: /dev/disk0s2, media: WDC WD1600JS-40TGB0, interconnect: Internal SATA, file system: "Journaled HFS+", OS: 10.4.10 (8R2232), capacity: 148.73 GB, used: 97.49 GB, directories: 101345, files: 422694, ejectable: NO, ACLs: Disabled
| 06:19:58 AM | Info | Target Volume: BACKUP, mount: /Volumes/BACKUP, device: /dev/disk1s3, media: WD 2500JB External, interconnect: External USB, file system: "Journaled HFS+", OS: N/A, capacity: 232.76 GB, used: 0.95 GB, directories: 1249, files: 18261, ejectable: NO, ACLs: Disabled
| 06:19:58 AM | Info | Copy Mode : Erase, then copy files
| 06:19:58 AM | Info | Copy Script : Backup - all files.dset
| 06:19:58 AM | Info | Transcript : BuildTranscript.plist
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | PHASE: 1. Prepare to Copy Files
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing Macintosh HD
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying the integrity of volinfo.database
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | volinfo.database OK
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on Macintosh HD
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for Macintosh HD
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | Permissions on '/' are enabled.
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Erasing BACKUP
| 06:19:59 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preserving BACKUP UUID
| 06:20:00 AM | Info | 78BA7AC0E4DAE4F7
| 06:20:00 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preserving spotlight indexing state
| 06:20:00 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Erasing BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring BACKUP UUID (78BA7AC0E4DAE4F7)
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | 78BA7AC0E4DAE4F7
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | /Volumes/BACKUP:
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | Indexing enabled for volume.
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | Indexing enabled on BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | Permissions on '/Volumes/BACKUP' are enabled.
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that BACKUP ACL support matches Macintosh HD
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Preserving Spotlight state on BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Disabling Spotlight search indexing on BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | PHASE: 2. Copy Files
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Copying files from Macintosh HD to BACKUP
| 06:20:10 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Cloning Macintosh HD to BACKUP
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | Copying copy files using script: /Users/Jerry/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/Standard Scripts/Backup - all files.dset
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | Loading 21 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Exclude system temporary files.dset
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | Loading 6 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Exclude system cache files.dset
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | Loading 1 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Exclude Norton FileSaver files.dset
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | Loading 2 commands from copy script /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Exclude Spotlight search index.dset
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | Loading 0 commands from copy script /Users/Jerry/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/Standard Scripts/Backup - all files.dset
| 06:20:11 AM | Info | /
| 06:20:13 AM | Info | /cores
| 06:20:13 AM | Info | /usr
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | /.Spotlight-V100
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.Spotlight-V100/.journalHistoryLog
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.Spotlight-V100/.store.db
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.Spotlight-V100/_IndexPolicy.plist
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.Spotlight-V100/ContentIndex.db
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.Spotlight-V100/store.db
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | /.Trashes
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | /.vol
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | Ignoring /.vol
| 06:22:40 AM | Info | /Applications
| 06:44:43 AM | Info | /automount
| 06:44:43 AM | Info | /bin
| 06:44:43 AM | Info | /Network
| 06:44:43 AM | Info | /Desktop
| 06:44:43 AM | Info | /Users
| 08:23:59 AM | Info | /System
| 08:35:16 AM | Info | Ignoring /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
| 08:35:16 AM | Info | /dev
| 08:35:16 AM | Info | /sbin
| 08:35:16 AM | Info | /Library
| 09:03:51 AM | Info | /private
| 09:03:54 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/tmp/502
| 09:03:54 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/tmp/cs_cache_lock_501
| 09:03:54 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/tmp/cs_cache_lock_92
| 09:03:54 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/tmp/target.indexState
| 09:03:54 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/db/volinfo.database
| 09:03:54 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/db/BootCache.playlist
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/run
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/tmp/folders.501
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/tmp/folders.502
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/tmp/mds
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/tmp/46aa9a49bac61
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/tmp/com.apple.speech.synthesis.globals
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /private/var/vm
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | /Volumes
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /Volumes/BACKUP
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /Volumes/Macintosh HD
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /mach.sym
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /mach
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /Desktop DF
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /Desktop DB
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Ignoring /.hotfiles.btree
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Evaluated 523594 items occupying 96.89 GB (101343 directories, 394779 files, 27472 symlinks)
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Copied 523499 items totaling 96.81 GB (101327 directories, 394702 files, 27470 symlinks)
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | Cloned 96.81 GB of data in 9825 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 10.09 MB/s
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Making BACKUP bootable
| 09:03:55 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder
| 09:03:56 AM | Info | Successfully blessed Mac OS X folder on BACKUP
| 09:03:56 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS 9 System Folder
| 09:03:56 AM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS 9 System Folder on BACKUP because it does not exist.
| 09:03:56 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Restoring Spotlight state on BACKUP
| 09:03:56 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on BACKUP
| 09:03:57 AM | Info | /Volumes/BACKUP:
| 09:03:57 AM | Info | Indexing enabled for volume.
| 09:03:57 AM | Info | Indexing enabled on BACKUP
| 09:03:57 AM | Info | Copy complete.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Yes, that is a successful copy.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks for confirming that and thanks for your prompt support. I won't be posting here again unless I encounter future problems!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM

This doesn't address most of your question because I'm not geeky enough (I am a geek just not in this respect) to make my own scripts for SuperDuper.

Anyway, this article may help your File Vault problem.

Mac OS X 10.4: FileVault - "There isn't enough space on your hard disk..." alert

Good luck. SuperDuper is a great product.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM

I'm BAAAACK!!!

Hey, SuperDuper's been working great for me since my last post, but now I've got a new problem. I'll bet this has already been discussed somewhere, so just link me to the right thread if appropriate. I did search briefly but couldn't find an obvious thread title.

I've been running backups about once a week or so, and the last time I got ready to run SuperDuper was yesterday. For the first time, I got the message saying an upgraded version was available, so I went ahead and accepted the download process and I think got just past where it has me put my Mac password in to allow it to perform the install.

Only a few seconds into it, the install failed ... it mentioned some kind of problem with some kind of file (yeah, I know this is sketchy information and if necessary I'll try to recreate it and provide more information but I suspect this is a known problem that I'm not alone with). So I gave up on the installation and tried to just run SuperDuper without upgrading. Unfortunately now I can't do that either, as it keeps attempting to resume the upgrade process (and failing) when I try to launch.

What can I do to get Superduper running again? Should I uninstall and then download SuperDuper from scratch? I'm sure I do have a record of my registration number so at least shouldn't have to worry about that! )

Other than the new problem, all of my information is as previously discussed in this thread; still using the same Tiger system, still using FileVault, still attempting to launch SuperDuper from a separate non-filevaulted account with admin privileges on the computer. Is the new version ONLY compatible with Leopard and is that why it doesn't work? If so is there a way for me to re-download the old version?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Just re-download and reinstall by hand.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM

That appears to have worked. I'll wait until overnight to try running it (that's a HUGE FileVault file! ) and will post back only if I continue to encounter problems.

Thanks for your help.