Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Scheduling options/login window

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, but have been using superduper for a while now.
I've read the posts about not being able to clone from the login window, is there any progress on that, something in the works perhaps?
And I was wondering about extending the period of scheduled copies, if there is a way to create a disc image every 6 weeks, or 12 weeks, rather than the last day of the month?

thanks in advance

Hank101
Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
A "daemon" version of SD is something we're considering, yes.

We don't have any plans to change the general scheduling interface, you can use the "One Touch" FAQ entry, along with iCal, to schedule something to run pretty much any time you'd like...
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I set it up the ical way and it seems to run great. Thanks again!

Hank101
Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM

Here's one huge vote for a "daemon" version of SuperDuper!

I have been spent countless hours investigating this feature on a competitor's software only to find it still doesn't work in the way I would like (and I'm willing to admit that perhaps it's just not possible).

Ideally, at the end of the day I want to lock my screen with a screensaver and/or have my computer go to sleep, automatically wake in the middle of the night using either Energy Saver or something built into SD, and run a batch of nightly scheduled backups even though the screen is locked. The problem is when using the "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver" Security feature the idle timeout is set to 30 seconds and then it goes back to sleep. In the competitor's software, if I set the wake time to the same as the scheduled backup as a workaround, it seems to run only if using internal drives as source and destination. External drives spin down and unmount. This is problematic for me since I have several internal and external drives I want to manage in my backup strategy. Although I could manually logout at day's end, I prefer the added security of a timed, automatic lockout. I've tried the auto logout Security feature and it still doesn't work in the manner I would like.

And of course I also want to use FileVault!

I have experimented with using the automatic login on a Simple Finder account solution I found in the SD forums and find it a bit cumbersome to use FUS.

So in summary, a solution for performing scheduled, unattended backups while the screen is locked (and not allow the sleep 30 second idle timeout from interrupting the process) would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you would like any additional information or want me to beta test this functionality should you decide to offer this feature.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Hi dnanian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
... you can use the "One Touch" FAQ entry, along with iCal, to schedule something to run pretty much any time you'd like...
What is the "One Touch" FAQ entry + iCal about ? I searched and found nothing. Is the daemon project still on the works ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM

As for me, I think that an automated backup routine needs to consider that an unattended computer would stay logged in and that it will permute eventually to the log-in window. The backup would then be done during the night time when I am not at my computer. So for security and obvious reasons, these 2 premisses are required.

As for the sleep mode problem, there is an elegant and efficient solution that is provided by the Power Manager utility (http://www.dssw.co.uk). It can perform multiple wake and sleep to allow different procedures to take place when unattended.

I then also vote for a way for SD to perform a backup while I am still logged in and when the login window is the front-most.

I wrote a script that monitors the computer's activity, not only mouse move and keyboard strokes. A process working in background should also be considered before putting a computer to sleep. This is the reason for this script. It was also designed to permutates the user to the login window when left unatended. In my point of vue, this feature should have been integrated to OS X long time ago. Hoping this will be implemented soon in SD.

Thanks for reading.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada

P.S. Since Retrospect and Backup already includes this feature is a good reason for this integration.

Last edited by rlesperance; 05-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator

The "One Touch" FAQ is in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the SuperDuper! part of the forums...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM

I know what FAQ is. I searched the FAQ with «One touch» and found nothing ...
Old 05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

All righty. Try http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993