Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM

volume name issue

I'm trying to upgrade my main hard drive ("Mac HD") to a new drive. So, I have used SD! to clone Mac HD to an external drive, just in case everything gets screwy.

I then install the new drive, and name it "new Mac HD" (so I don't have 2 drives named exactly the same thing mounted at the same time).

Then I clone Mac HD to "new Mac HD" with SD, all going well, and boot off of "new Mac HD". Finally, I rename "Mac HD" to "old Mac HD" and "new Mac HD" to "Mac HD" all in the finder.

When I go to boot off of (the new) "Mac HD" by holding down the option key during a restart, the name of the drive is still "new Mac HD." Hmmm. Disk Utility and Finder don't think so, but there it is.

I decide to start over and reclone the original Mac HD to the new drive again, this time by renaming the ORIGINAL Mac HD to "old Mac HD" and then repartition/erase the new drive. BUT, now the new drive (currently named "Mac HD" in the finder but "new Mac HD" on startup) won't dismount because something is apparently using it (though no apps besides Disk Utility are open).

Obviously, I'm not doing this right, and making things worse every time I try something.

Is there a straightforward way of using SD to clone my main drive to a new physical drive and keep the volume names straight? Any thoughts about what to do now given that things are heading in the direction of FUBAR?