Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Can't Boot from SD clone on LaCie External Drive

I have two kinds of LaCie portable external drives - Porshe and Little Disk connected to my Mac Mini via firewire. On the older drive (Porshe), I have partitioned the drive (GUID) and formatted two partitions in MAC OS Extended (Journaled). I cloned Leopard using Superduper onto one of the partitions for emergency situations, and my Mac Mini easily boots up from the Porsche clone. However, with the new drive (Little disk), I did the same thing and my Mac mini won't boot up from the Leopard clone on the Little Disk. I actually tried this with a second Little Disk, and the same non-booting problem occurred. I have tried the procedure several times with the regular copying and with Smart Update. Can anyone figure out why I can use the older drive as a boot but not the newer one?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
This is a little big disk? Do you have an Intel or a Power PC Mac?

Could it be that the LBD requires more power? Have you tried connecting its AC adapter?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Dave
This a puzzle. My Mac is an Intel. The drive is LaCie's newest pocket drive (3x5x1/2") called "Little Disk". It has no AC adapter. However, your question made me try some other configurations:
1. I plugged the Little Drive directly into the firewire port of the Macbook. It booted from the Leopard clone.
2. I removed all cables from my MacMini (except the cinema display and USB hub with the keyboard and mouse) and plugged the drive directly into the firewire port. It wouldn't boot up. The screen wouldn't progress beyond the gray Apple logo.
Both my MacBook and MacMini are Intel Core 2 Duos. Why will the Leopard clone boot up from the MacBook but not the MacMini? On my MacMini why will a Leopard clone boot-up from LaCie's older Porsche pocket drive, but not the newer "Little Disk"? Is this a question for LaCie, Apple, or both?
The bottom line is that I need an additional pocket drive (besides the Porshe drive) stored off-site with a Leopard clone that can boot up from my MacMini.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator

It sounds like, for some reason, the new disk isn't compatible with the mini, unfortunately: perhaps it's a power issue (insufficient power), hard to say.

You can try this: disconnect the drive. Get to the Option+startup menu. When you see that, plug the drive in. If it appears as a choice, immediately select it and try starting.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 AM

I tried the option+startup menu and although it appeared as a startup disc, it wouldn't boot.
I'm going to try another SuperDuper clone to the drive. In the "advanced" tab of SD, there's a box that says "copy ACLs". Should this box be checked?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Yes, copy ACLs should be checked.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Dave
This will probably be my last post on this issue because I'm giving up on LaCie's Little Disk as a clone start-up drive. I did speak to LaCie and the official line is that they don't support booting up from their drives. Strangely, they couldn't tell me if the drives had the Oxford firewire chipset, which I thought were needed in order to boot from them. The LaCie technician was nice in that "off the record" he tried to help me with the question you had - is there enough power? The drive comes with a cable that allows extra power through a USB connection, while still using firewire. That didn't help, though.
I then called OWC (MacSales) and they guarantee that their little Mercury-On-The-Go drives will allow me to boot up externally with Leopard.
Thanks for your help.