Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 PM

Thumbs up

Here's my story on trying to get the perfect setup

Went and bought a Seagate external hard drive after my first Mac crash
Deleted the back s/w that came with it since it won't let me boot from the drive
Installed SD
Learnt the hard way that schedulers don't wake a sleeping Mac
In System Pref, under Energy Saver, schedule, there is an option to Start Mac at a preset time. I set it up at 2.00am everyday
Now strange things started happening, it would wake up sometimes, it wouldn't other times. There apparently was some problem when the USB printer was turned on and connected that interfered with the sleep patterns of Mac
Installed the latest apple update, trashed all preferences, ran maintenece scripts (Onyx) and finally that wasn't a problem any more
Now in order to get SD to run after the Mac wakes up at 2.00 am, I need a scheduler. Used Cronnix and scheduled to run SD at 2:04am.

Even stranger things started happening. On every test I would see the mac wakes up and runs SD, yet in the morning when I check the logs I would find the Mac actually woke up but went to sleep immediately without running SD!

Then after some hair pulling found out that when a Mac isn't woken up using a keypress, the Mac actually goes to sleep in 2 minutes or so and not by what the setting is in Sys Pref..Energy Saver..Sleep (Usually set at 15 minutes). So the Mac wakes up and goes to sleep immediately since it wasn't woken up by a keypress and doesn't give SD a chance!

After some digging found a program called keypress.c which simulates a keypress. Unfortunately there wasn't a compiled version, so compiled it and finally had a setting that works!

In Sys Pref, wake Mac at 2.00 am
In Cronnix Schedule Keypress to run at 2.01am
In Cronnix Schedule SD to run at 2.03am

You are all set!