Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 PM

SuperDuper network backup to Apple Time Capsule?

Hi, I'm intrigued by the Apple Time Capsule -- 1 TB of networked disk.

Has anyone tried scheduled incremental backups using SuperDuper to a number of sparse images living on an Apple Time Capsule?

The reason I ask is that I had nothing but grief trying to get SuperDuper to backup to sparse images on a dedicated disk attached to one of my computers. All computers in the scenario had to be restarted frequently -- something I think I've seen as being a common thread on the discussions here about backing up to networked sparse images.

(In the end I just reverted to firewire backups to partitions, sneakernetting the drive from one computer to the next.)

But I'm ready to try networked SuperDuper again!

Anyone have a success story to share?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I don't think anyone has a Time Capsule, canton.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 PM

Dave, it would be wonderful if you would play with a Time Capsule when they are out and let us know how it goes

Thanks to your feint praise of the Airdisk attached to last year's Apple Airport Extreme, I held off buying one, and quite glad about it too, now.

If you are just looking for a network home for sparse disk images, I can recommend the Simpletech Simpleshare 500 GB. It is quiet, low energy, and with a bit of help from an Applescript that makes sure it unmounts when SuperDuper! is done, it has worked very well for the last six months. It was cheap, too. Sadly, it seems to be out of stock everywhere now.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator

I have one on order: we do have to test with it. But I don't think it's going to give better performance than a regular "Airdisk"... and it has the disadvantage of not being directly connectable (which can speed up the initial backup quite significantly -- see the "Airport Disks" post at the blog).
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks. Just to clarify: regarding performance, you are referring only to the speed of the network connection/backup, which presumably will be the same for Time Capsule as it is for the older Airport Extreme base station?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Correct. Of course, I have no idea how fast TimeCapsule is, but no matter how fast, it's going to be slower than a directly connected drive.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Sounds interesting I was considering one of these for my MBPro.
If it can do incremental backups to it from Superduper that would be awesome. The fact that it takes longer than say a firewire drive is not a big issue with me. Of course we no doubt wont be able to use it as a bootable drive. I just like the convenience that it is always accessible. Thats why am considering one (if it works.)
Speed isnt everything.

Last edited by shaneblyth; 01-27-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 AM

Issues wth Super Duper and Time Capsule.

Yeah, I have a time capsule, and had some success with the free version but it only created half of a bootable drive. Then it couldn't mount a drive.

I bought the registered version since the the smart update sounded ideal, but I am still having issues with it not being able to mount a drive.

It does however work quite slick with time machine.

Hopefully I can get it working with Super Duper as well so I can have a bootable backup as well as a time machine backup.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

I really don't have much to work here, Todd: why not drop me a line to support with the details.