Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2004, 03:31 PM

write problems after cloning machine

I'm having some write problems after using SuperDuper! to clone my hard drive to a new Mac. It appears that certain files can be read, but not written to. I first noticed this in my ~/Library/Preferences directory, but it appears to be in other places also. I did an "ls -la" on each level of my heirarchy leading to Preferences on both the original machine and the new one, and all the security settings seem the same, so I can't figure out what went wrong. Here is exactly what I did:

Two Macs:
old 1.25Ghz 15" PowerBook G4 with 80GB drive
new 1.5Ghz 15" PowerBook G4 with 80GB drive

OS version 10.3.6

Steps used to clone:
1) Booted off Apple DVD on old machine and ran Disk Utility "Repair Disk Permissions"
2) Booted up old machine and installed SuperDuper!
3) Booted new machine in Target Disk mode (held T down during boot)
4) Connected FireWire 800 cable between old machine and new
5) From old machine, used Disk Utility to format hard drive on new machine and name it same as old machine "Macintosh HD"
6) Ran SuperDuper! and cloned drive over to new machine
7) Ejected new machine from desktop of old machine and rebooted new machine

Everything seemed fine when I booted up the new machine. My dock came up correctly and all my files seemed to be there. But when I would launch an app that writes to a preference file (e.g. BBEdit), the app would crash at that point with a disk error. Finally what I tried was to move my Preferences directory to the desktop, and log out/in. The mac created a new Preference directory, and I was able to launch BBEdit and run it. I then copied the contents of my Preferences directory from the desktop into the new one in ~/Library/ and logged out/in. Now everything seems much better. BBEdit has it's correct preferences, and so do all my other apps.

However, it seems that when I launch other apps that maybe write to files in other places, I'm still getting disk errors (can't write). I'm confused because, as I said, everything looks right when I view the security on the old and new systems (either via finder, or ls -la). The correct owner and group appear on each directory I've looked at: e.g. "drwx------ 43 mkrueger mkrueger 1462 12 Dec 11:42 Library"

This is the first time I've used SuperDuper!, any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? Many thanks for writing this program, I have high hopes for it.