Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Question mark on boot

Hi,

I'm not a registered user...yet. But will happily be after I get this to work.
I searched the forum for the typical question-mark on boot issue, but the few threads that came back didn't help.

I've cloned my internal PB volume to an external disk (USB, not firewire. I'd love to get Firewire to work, but even my new Oxford 911 enclosure with v4.0 firmware won't work...but that's another story).

I booted with Tiger install DVD, went to Disk Utility, did a restore from the clone, and on boot I get the question-mark.

I've only been a Mac user for about a year. I've Googled and have seen voodoo like resetting PRAM, and nvram...but I must have missed something important about how to get my PB to consider its internal drive bootable, yes?

Starting with the option key doesn't reveal the internal volume as bootable. I recall that it did show up as a potential startup volume when I was in the Tiger DVD and could manually choose a startup volume. I'm about to do that just to get it booted, but I'm assuming that isn't a permanent solution.

Help?

UPDATE: Okay, so I guess I misunderstand the intent of that Startup Disk util in the Tiger install DVD. After selecting the internal drive as the Startup disk, I understood (wrongly) that it booted from that disk but didn't have any lasting effect. After booting, I restarted again to see if it would automatically boot from the internal drive, and now it does indeed.

Clearly, despite a year of having a PowerBook, I lack understanding of stuff like this. I mean, when I booted with the option key, the internal drive/volume wasn't even available as a selection. Yet, selecting the Startup Disk from the install DVD worked?

So, I'm left with a couple of questions:

1) Why after doing the restore did I end up with the question-mark in the first place, and is this common or expected behaviour after doing a restore with Super Duper?

2) Is doing the Startup Disk selection via the install CD/DVD the proper remedy?

On the upside, despite this hiccup with not booting initially, Super Duper did do its job.

I'm hoping that someone can illuminate me on my questions, hopefully to benefit someone else.

Gavin

Last edited by gmckenzi; 10-30-2005 at 08:17 PM.