Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 AM

500GB - Bootdrive + TM + FAT32

Hi everyone

I just purchased the Western Digital MyBook Studio 500GB edition. It should arrive sometime next week hopefully. It's pre-formatted with HFS so it should work well with my Macbook.

I'm a new mac user and just want to be sure on backing up things. I plan to partition the external HDD 3 ways:

A) For external booting (SD clone would be appropriate right?)
B) For TM backups
C) For extra file storage

This way, I can pretty much run my macbook off the external and access all my files when I'm at home.

Basically my current Macbook has a 160GB HDD on it, and I've filled up around 100GB already.

I just have some questions:

1) How big should the partitions be for each of the 3 partitions mentioned above (considering my current HDD usage state)? I'm thinking of making partition 1 160GB, same size as my current HDD in my Macbook. What do you think?
2) How much space does TM exactly take up? After the initial backup, does it take up around 100GB already and slowly build up from there? Would 200GB be suffice for that?
3) How would I format the 3rd partition to be FAT32? Would I need to do that on a PC? And there is a 4GB file limit right? I'm ok with that as most of the files will be movies/music and I don't do any HD video stuff. So perhaps the rest of the remaining space for it (140GB). My reason for this is so I can copy media files from my PC when needed.
4) Are there any flaws/changes I should consider to my proposed new setup? What recommendations would you give?
5) Side question: if the external is a 7200rpm drive, would it run "quicker" than my internal 5400rpm 160GB?

Would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!
________
WASHINGTON MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by takamine; 03-11-2011 at 10:15 PM.