Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 AM

Auto mount / unmount FW volumes?

I've been using SD for a couple of weeks now to backup one data drive to another FW drive via smart update.

After a cursory search, I assume it's still not possible to have SD automatically mount a volume, perform the backup and then unmount the volume when the BU is complete?

There are several reasons why I want to do this. First, it's simply safer for the backup drive to ONLY be mounted during the actual backup. This became painfully evident to me a few years ago after the infamous iTunes2 update, where I lost 10 gigs of data, INCLUDING my (mounted) backup drive!

Secondly, it occurred to me that a very simple mistake on my part could result in disaster if both drives are mounted. If I accidentally place new image files on the backup volume instead of my regular data drive, SD would actually erase(!) the new files since I'm using smart update.

Yes, I should pay attention when uploading images but it wouldn't be that hard to make the mistake. Although the names of the drives are different, the folder structures are identical (that's the point of course), so while perusing files in OSX's column view, it'd be easy to confuse the two.

I tried to lessen the risk by changing the volume's icons but SD makes them the same. (Yes, I know there's a way around this with scripting but that's too much work when it's not a real solution anyway.)

Please, please, please ... include an auto mount/unmount feature in the next version. (also, backing up individual folders would be great as well)

In the meantime, is there a way to auto mount/unmount a volume with Automater or scripting? Please keep in mind I'm a photographer, not a programmer - any hand-holding would be greatly appreciated.

TIA ...

-phil