Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2007, 07:23 AM

OS 10.4 Server does not boot after restore with SD

So, we are currently running OS 10.4 server on a Powermac G5. But we also have an unused Xserve (also G5), and I'm trying to migrate everything from the PMG5 to the Xserve . I figured SuperDuper would be the best way to go about this. I have been using SuperDuper to backup the G5 nightly to an External FW Segate drive.

When I take the External FW drive and plug it into the XServer and boot the Xserve directly off the FW Drive, it boots up and works fine.

BUT, when I use SD to restore the files onto the Xserve from the FW Drive, then the Xserve doesn't boot up. It gets to the splash screen, the progress bar freezes about halfway, and then the login window appears over the splash screen. I am then unable to login. When booting into single usermode and looking at the logs, I see that launchd is unable to launch any services, particularly netinfo. It just continues to try to restart those services and then fails with exit code 1 (so the log says)

So, just to recap, the Xserve boots up perfectly and runs fine when running directly from the external drive. But does not after restoring from the external drive.
So I take the External drive to another machine (an iMac g5) and boot the Imac G5 with this external, works great. Restore the iMac G5, and I get the exact same problem: freezes at the splash screen, login window appears and doen't let me log in.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?