Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 AM

Using SD to restore on new HD, can't use media files Help.

I had a hard drive failure on my MacBook Pro. It's a 2.16 MHz Core 2 Duo, with 1 Gb of RAM. Everything was backed up with SuperDuper and I was able to work perfectly off the clone. Apple fixed the machine, gave me a new HD and reinstalled OSX Tiger up to the current version (OSX 4.10).

One thing you guys should do, is provide more explicit info on how to get the stuff from the clone back into the computer so that you get the same desktop, bookmarks, mailboxes and so on. This is not clear at all.

I found most of the files but have probably missed some or messed something up in the process. Following info from this board, I used the migration tool to move stuff from the clone back to the computer. Then, I had the old desktop, new mailboxes, new versions of browsers (Camino, Firefox, Safari), none of my mail or bookmarks or documents. That stuff was in a separate folder that I could see after clicking on the HD icon. I found and moved files for the desktop (that looks ok), old mailboxes and browser bookmarks/preferences (Eudora) and MS Office.

I did something wrong because there are two problems (that I know of). Sending and receiving e-mail works, all original settings are intact. But when a message comes in, the program immediately closes - poof, gone. I can reopen and get the messages. The same thing happens when trying to view any media on the web - stuff I had no problem with before - or when downloading MP3 files. It will not let me use any of these files - they start to open and immediately close. I cannot use the "get info" tab to designate which program should open files with an .mpg suffix, or anything involving Quicktime. I've got the latest version of Quicktime, and also Flip4 Mac. I have the exact same programs on my work laptop, an identical machine, and no problems. Same with Eudora.

Are there specific files I should have moved from the folder of stuff that was migrated from the clone? This originally happened three weeks ago and I can't remember the names of the files I moved. After the migration, there were a lot of folders that were locked, I'm still finding more and unlocking them as I go. Is that the problem? Could someone provide a list of the files that I (or anyone else trying to restore a HD) should move?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Last edited by Starburst; 10-04-2007 at 09:09 AM.