Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Update Manual for FileVault 2, please!

In the manual how-tos and descriptions still apply to FileVault 1, not the new, full disc encrypting FileVault 2.

Could you please update the manual with clear instructions on how to backup a FileVault 2 encrypted drive and how to make sure that the backup is (or is deliberately not) encrypted?

Backing up a FileVault 2-volume seems to be an issue here on the forums and elsewhere, and I do not want to rely on some person's blog entry on that topic as my data is too valuable for me.

Thank you,
Michael
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
There's not much to it, Michael. Format the backup drive as encrypted, and use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" to copy to it.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:52 PM

That sounds easy.

One more question to make sure I got everything I read right:
  • No matter whether my backup drive is encrypted or not, I can use it as a full copy of my internal harddrive, including booting from it, etc., true?
  • If I format the backup drive as encrypted, my data is encrypted the same way it is on my internal harddrive.
  • If I leave my backup drive non-encrypted, my data is being backed up as non-encrypted.

True? (And thank you!)
Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator

In our tests booting works. You may want to repair the drive with Disk Utility after copying to it, and select it for boot with the startup disk preference pane.

Yes, it's the same encryption, and yes - if the backup is unencrypted, the data is unencrypted (unless you have some other encryption method in use).
Old 03-26-2015, 11:18 PM

If we boot from Sandbox, does FileVault II backup our user directory in addition to Sandbox?
Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 PM

Oh, another related question. If at some later time we have cause to create a new Sandbox from an encrypted backup drive, will we have to run FileVault II again or will the new Sandbox be automatically "FileVaulted"?

Also, I haven't (yet) formatted Sandbox with encryption. Is that necessary either now or if Sandbox has to be recreated in the future?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Administrator

You can't really use a Sandbox if you're using FileVault, because the home folder won't be on a drive that's unencrypted at the time it needs to be.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks for that information, Dave. What I really want to do is encrypt my entire dropbox folder, located of course in my user folder on MacHD rather than on Sandbox.

I presume one option is to abandon Sandbox (which I have used for years, and love). Then FileVault II will encrypt everything, including Dropbox folder, before it gets synched over the Internet to Dropbox. Would I then have trouble accessing Dropbox files from my iPhones and Ipads?

If I don't abandon Sandbox, do you have any recommended approach for encrypting the Dropbox folder on the Mac yet have the files accessible on my other devices, and compatible with SD? My Dropbox folder is 20 GB in size currently.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Administrator

No, because FileVault doesn't encrypt at the file level. It encrypts at the disk level, way under the files, which look unencrypted to applications, including Dropbox.

The files on Dropbox would not be encrypted by FileVault at all (except locally, of course, and by their own storage mechanisms - I don't know the details of their storage).

Tags
backup, encryption, filevault2, fulldiscencryption