Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 PM

When will SD be ready for Leopard?

Hello: Does anyone have any idea when SD will be ready for Leopard? I have chosen to wait on installing Leopard because I depend so much on SD for my backups that Leopoard is not worth the risk. But since I manage 5 computers I am really anxious to enjoy some of Leopards' new network capabilities; thus, my question about when the upgraded SD is expected. If Dave or anyone has any idea, please share it. Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 AM

and right so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...
i too waiting in line for the update, but i absolutely wish it to be safe. I have other backup-utils who claim they were "Leopard-Ready", if you look at there forums, they're not....

I would even recommend to dnanian to wait for the pending release of 10.5.1 to make sure that it will REALLY work and that we can be sure that our backups are what they need to be: Something we can blindly depend on...

I tried Leo's Time-Machine, but it's not the way i work, so i will set the switch to "OFF" the moment i can get a Leo-compatible SD-Version and get back "in-control" and do backups the way i want it to be, not the way apple wants it for me...

As long as there is no working SD-Version Time Machine is a good interim-solution, no need to hurry...

Thanks!

Bernie
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Dave, can you PLEASE at least tell us if you're making good progress on a Leopard version on SD?

I'm VERY EXCITED of getting SD for Leopard!!!!!!

Last edited by Stevamundo; 11-08-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree with getting it right. SuperDuper has just saved me with my attempts at Leopard installation.

I did a complete back-up of my pre-Leopard main drive. Then I installed Leopard and had many of the problems that others have reported -- blue screens, applications freeze, etc -- basically, a PC experience on the Mac. I worked on it for a while but it never became stable.

So I just booted to my back-up drive, copied that version back over my main drive, and now I'm back up and happily running a stable 10.4.x OS. I'm waiting for a stable Leopard version before I try that again.

SuperDuper saved me a lot of pain and agony -- and it was fairly simple. I'm back to enjoying my Mac again. Others can suffer with the early Leopard bugs, I'll wait it out.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:05 PM

Ready when?

The minor little points that you guys seem to be taking so long to get right are the things that make restores from an SD backup work so well. In theory, you can boot from the Leopard DVD and restore from a TimeMachine backup. But with all the weird little problems with Leopard, who'd feel all that safe relying on TimeMachine? I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner for now, and it does boot the new cloned drive all right, but I wonder if there'll be some odd directory permission issue popping up when I use it for a while.

I'd just as soon wait for SD to get done right.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

We're making good progress, Steve & everyone. But, as I've said (over and over and over), we're taking our time to make sure it's right. It's something we've always done -- it's one of the reasons why you like us.

I'm sorry that we didn't have the final Leopard build weeks early so we could finish things up before it came out, but we didn't -- we're going as fast as we can safely go. Patience!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
We're making good progress, Steve & everyone. But, as I've said (over and over and over), we're taking our time to make sure it's right. It's something we've always done -- it's one of the reasons why you like us.

I'm sorry that we didn't have the final Leopard build weeks early so we could finish things up before it came out, but we didn't -- we're going as fast as we can safely go. Patience!
That's good news! Thank you Dave.

It's not your fault if Apple didn't release their GM build of Leopard to their developers before they released it to the public.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I've installed Leopard AND backed up (over my old backup) using SD! and just now discovered that it isn't considered ready. Help!! What should I do in the meantime until SD! is ready?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
But the main reason I like you is because superduper! backs up my mac, or at least it use to.

I love superduper, don't get me wrong. I appreciate your hard work. But it's going on 3 weeks now and I haven't been able to back up my mac. I hope an update is coming soon. Yes, I want it done right, but the amount of time that is acceptable to wait is coming to an end in my opinion.

I don't want to use time machine, or another backup application. I chose superduper!, and paid money for superduper! because that's the application I wanted to use. In all due respect, I hope I get to use it again very soon.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM

If SD works with Leopard now?

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Here's what I have done. I partitioned my internal Hard Drive into 2, one for 10.4.10 and one for 10.5. I have backed up my 10.4.10 partition to one of 3 partitions on my external drive. The three are for, one 10.4.10, one for 10.5 (I'm backing that up as I write this from my MacBook) and one for the MacBook itself. The 1st time I backed up Leopard it (erase and copy) it got 3/4s of the way through and SD crashed. So trying again. Will report back if this backup goes OK. There is an option to back up ACS files when Leopard is running SD. What are those?

Just upgrading to Leopard was a nightmare and, as I now know, not the way to go. I backed up 10.4.10 to one partition after erasing it and now Leopard seems to have calmed down a bit after doing a clean install, with only a few sporadic crashes.

Booting Leopard from a SD bootable copy via USB (yeah I have another external drive) doesn't work.

Update. SD just crashed at about the same time as before. I'll try doing an SD copy of Leopard to my Leopard backup partition while running 10.4.10 and let you know how that goes.

Can't wait for SD Leopard. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Carter
Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

You can try turning off the "ACL Copy" option in Advanced preferences, Carter -- but, it's not compatible, so this kind of thing is inevitable.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to KevinBBG
Quote:
I for one, certainly want to wait for it to be right, I've depended on SuperDuper! for a couple of years now and intend to for quite some.

We can use it now to back up Tiger then install Leopard and have our safety net. I did this very thing when I upgraded to Tiger, ran into some problems but was on deadlines and could not take the time to figure it out. So I booted on my Panther clone and kept working for a few days until I could get back to deal with Tiger.

With Time Machine you are supposed to be able to limit what you back up. I intend to still make Leopard clones with SD! like I always have and have Time Machine back up only my files. It makes sense to have a weeks worth of changes on a file and to be able to go back and restore from any point in that week. But there is no need to do that for the system. This should keep Time Machine nice and trim so it doesn't take too long or use up too much disk space.

Apple really put in Time Machine because the majority of Mac users do not back up at all so they wanted to make it easy and painless. But for those of us who do back up TM would just be one more resource to increase our depth of safety.

Kevin
http://dailybbg.blogspot.com/
Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 AM

I've been patient so far, but as a paying customer I'm starting to feel left in the dark here. I know you are testing the software thouroughly to make sure it will work but the only information on progress so far is that progress is happening. Some kind of news, anything, would be good. Even documenting some of the issues you've had in getting it to work so we can see why it's taking so long. I don't want to use other software but I may have to try alternatives as I'm sure many of your other customers are doing, as I need the features of superduper.

As a sidenote, because superduper isn't working I have leopard stuck on an external drive. I can't copy the volume to the internal using disk util as the internal volume is slightly smaller (but the external volume is not full). Can anyone recommend another fail-safe way of copying the volume across? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:16 AM

I tested Carbon Copy Cloner on my Macs last night, and successfully created bootable Leopard clones to external FW on both; so, there is a seemingly viable alternative right now. That said, I'm a loyal SD customer, and look forward to the polished new version of SD that Dave N will release when it's fully baked.