Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Larry Estes Larry Estes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Totally Dis able Time Machine

Hi,

Anyone know how to totally Disable Time Machine?

I'm a firm believer in SD and do not want Time Machine windows popping up and want me to do something; I will do it on my own! I do not need GodFather watching me!

Thanks,
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 AM
justG justG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
System Preferences > Time Machine > Slide switch to Off position.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 AM
ksrhee ksrhee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Estes View Post
Hi,

Anyone know how to totally Disable Time Machine?

I'm a firm believer in SD and do not want Time Machine windows popping up and want me to do something; I will do it on my own! I do not need GodFather watching me!

Thanks,
Larry
You can turn it off via system preference. BTW, what is being loyal to SD has to do with not wanting to use Time Machine? Both are just tools and they both serve different purposes. I use both tools to protect my system from failures and also for my sanity. Besides, TM doesn't ask for your intervention and does its function silently in the background. It's slow the first time since it has to back up the whole drive (except you have an option to exclude files, folders, and drives), but subsequent backups are rather quick. I have never noticed my system slowing down except that my external hard drive is working. Recently I recovered several emails (due to corruption) and images, and I would not have been able to do this w/o Time Machine.

I know everyone is entitled to one's opinion, but I'm getting sick of people trashing Time Machine w/o really understanding what its purpose is for.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Larry Estes Larry Estes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Disable Time Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
You can turn it off via system preference. BTW, what is being loyal to SD has to do with not wanting to use Time Machine? Both are just tools and they both serve different purposes. I use both tools to protect my system from failures and also for my sanity. Besides, TM doesn't ask for your intervention and does its function silently in the background. It's slow the first time since it has to back up the whole drive (except you have an option to exclude files, folders, and drives), but subsequent backups are rather quick. I have never noticed my system slowing down except that my external hard drive is working. Recently I recovered several emails (due to corruption) and images, and I would not have been able to do this w/o Time Machine.

I know everyone is entitled to one's opinion, but I'm getting sick of people trashing Time Machine w/o really understanding what its purpose is for.
No, you cannot turn off time machine this way; it still has a popup window that wants to know if you want to use time machine.

Good for you for using both tools, but I don't really care what you do! Either answer the question as best you can without all the extras or don't reply! I am getting tired of these people who think that they are little Gods and want to police everyone else. I'm not trashing Time Machine, I just don't want to use it yet! Don't read anything extra into my post! And I do understand what its purpose is; I did not fall off the cabbage truck yesterday!

Regards,
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
ksrhee ksrhee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Estes View Post
No, you cannot turn off time machine this way; it still has a popup window that wants to know if you want to use time machine.

Good for you for using both tools, but I don't really care what you do! Either answer the question as best you can without all the extras or don't reply! I am getting tired of these people who think that they are little Gods and want to police everyone else. I'm not trashing Time Machine, I just don't want to use it yet! Don't read anything extra into my post! And I do understand what its purpose is; I did not fall off the cabbage truck yesterday!

Regards,
Larry
Larry,

I won't engage you in this senseless debate, but I suggest you read your first message and decide for yourself whether my response was not called for. You could have simply ask the forum the question for how to turn off the time machine without adding your own opinions about TM and etc. BTW, I can turn off TM completely in my system preference and nothing ever pops up reminding me to turn it back on.

If you want to make sure, you can even add your hard drives into the exclusion panels in the TM preference.

Last edited by ksrhee; 11-16-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 AM
dnanian's Avatar
dnanian dnanian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Weston, MA
Posts: 14,827
Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I agree with 'ksrhee' here, Larry (although Time Machine does prompt to turn on when turned off when you attach new drives) -- Time Machine does what it does pretty well, and is a nice complement to SuperDuper!, and vice versa.

It really isn't a matter of one or the other. They do different things well -- I encourage you to use both, if you have the disk space.
__________________
--Dave Nanian
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
backup file size—SD vs. Time Machine jotaro General 10 06-23-2009 10:00 AM
Will Time Machine make SuperDuper obsolete? JAC II General 9 11-07-2007 03:54 PM
Cloning a Time Machine Volume barrysharp General 5 10-30-2007 11:58 PM
A different angle on SD & Time Machine integration badlydrawnboy General 10 10-26-2007 08:37 PM
How will SuperDuper! integrate with Time Machine? Felix General 15 10-23-2007 03:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.