Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Update of Manual advisably for Leopard

Hi,

congratulation on the new version. As it can be seen on the forum, the new functions or functionality in SD are not (yet) properly addressed in the manual. I was not able to find a single reference to TimeMachine and Leopard-specifics. Though that is not very very urgent it should be addressed.
SD claims supersimple usability (and indeed some rather complicated things if one dares to delve deeper like sandbox etc.) so the questions:
a) what do I do about TimeMachine (leave it, no switching off necessary); b) what to do with a HD already used by TimeMachine: choose "Smart Update" NOT "Erase then copy"

should be answered in length in an updated helpfile.

I am happy to learn that this is visible and addressed in the GUI but in my case I prefer to read first (the manual) and THEN try it out.

Nevertheless I can understand that shipping SD after so many complaints is a reason to take a deep breath and relax but this – in my opinion – should be covered sonner than later.

Greetings,

Rolf
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Rolf, surely you jest! The "What's New" areas on VersionTracker, MacUpdate, etc. appears to be lifted from the press release and unequivocally note that there's "...a completely rewritten, task-based User's Guide."

Quite frankly, I didn't even open the file...SD 2.5 is totally intuitive, just like the Tiger version was. But if you say the manual indeed wasn't rewritten then maybe that's a future enhancement.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The "rewritten" user's guide was part of the 2.x feature set.

I have actually extensively revised the User's Guide, but couldn't get it -- and its screen shots, cross-referencing, etc -- done for the release: just didn't have enough time. But as soon as support slows a bit I'll start work on finishing it up, and in the meantime get some FAQs up for the Time Machine features.

There's no real trick, though: if you Smart Update to a Time Machine volume, it'll preserve your local Time Machine backups ("Backups.backupdb").
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 AM

Hi Dave,

I can understand this. After all this must really have been a test of your strength! How about a readme with the hint, that soon (oh no! not another complaints-contest about dates and schedules ;-) ) there is going to be an update a) online-help/FAQ b) and update of the manual?

As I have written I prefer to read more about what magic SD is performing.

Greetings,

Rolf
Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM

The first thing I did was have a glance over the manual and I thought it strange to find that there was no update to it. Copying your boot drive to a drive that is storing your Time Machine backup is something no one should jump head first into. You can't expect people to have to find out by "trail and error" as it could lead to data loss.

Also I know this is only minor but on Page 55 of the User's Guide, titled "Appendix - Partitioning Your Laptop for a Sandbox", there is a note about live partitioning and the suggestion is to use iPartition as OS X is not able to do it. Leopard's Disk Utility has the ability to do this and I thought it would be worth mentioning in the User's Guide so Leopard users don't need to buy another application for something the OS is capable of doing.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
While I realize that an updated manual & FAQ would be awesome, I can't give any timeframes for when I'm going to be able to get to this, Rolf & James, but I'm trying to get to it as soon as I can. I'm running flat out just keeping up with support right now... I'm going to try to get the section I already wrote about this up into the FAQ.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM

timeframe

Hi Dave,

take a deep breath. I am not complaining. I suppose people will run into problem even when they could read an updated manual.
Lokking forward to it "when it's ready" ;-)

Rolf