Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Partitioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Right, so format it. You won't see two drives, just one - and you should partition it, with the Partition tab, as "GUID" for an Intel Mac or "Apple Partition Map" for Power PC>

Don't format for Windows -- if you do so, you won't be able to start up from the drive, and won't be able to use it with SuperDuper.
So let me get this reeeeally right - partition it into 2, call one say, RAID 1 and the other RAID 2, using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format? Or just partition it into 1 and let the drive magically do it behind the scenes - if so, if there's ever a head crash on one of the drives, will you be able to call up the other drive to drag stuff off?

And, re the Windows question (although the only non-Mac choices of format seems to be "Unix File System" and "Free Space") - I am not planning to make this a bootable drive - I just want off-laptop data stored and mirrored.
I was simply going to copy data as it starts to clog up my laptop to the first partition (drive?) of the RAID, and presumeably it will automatically copy it to the second partition (drive?) - do I have that right?*

Since work uses a Windows/Linux environment, they were talking about hooking this box up to a computer there so I could drag stuff off of it using a hi-speed connection when I am road warrioring (which is 99% of the time). Will it still work?

Thanks for you help David, it won't be wasted - I predict a ton of people eventually asking the same questions...

(*I just realized I'm a bit out of line asking you all this, because clearly, I don't need to use Super Duper for this at all - since I am just copying data whenever I want to the RAID and it should automatically mirror - once I set the damn thing up correctly. Where I DO use Super Duper is to make a bootable clone of my laptop to a separate partitioned mobile drive - 2 'generations'. I imagine that if I decide in future to back up my laptop to the RAID as well, I'd have to save the RAID data somewhere else, partition it to add a clone partition, copy the data back, and from there on use Super Duper to make the bootable clone on the RAID, and the RAID would automatically mirror everything, right?).

Last edited by galfromdownunder; 08-27-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Doh!