Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM

Preserving HD Desktop Icons

When an external HD is first hooked up and mounted, a distinctive manufacturer's icon is displayed. After working it over with Disk Utilities, the generic orange OS X HD icon replaces it. It (manufacturer's icon) can be restored by copying one from the mfr's Internet site, doing a "get info" on the HD icon, then pasting the new icon on the small one displayed at the top left of the "get info" window. OK so far. But, when SD! updates that particular partition, back comes the bland orange OS X icon. How can that be prevented, so as to retain the distinctive mfr's icon for each external HD's partitions? It's not taxing to keep a copy of the icon on the desktop and replace it after each SD! update, but it's a nuisance and inelegant in this automated age. I'm hoping to avoid adding a script to my SD! copy routine. I'd rather tap in to whatever keeps the Macintosh internal HD icon pristine. Dale.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The "Bland" icon is the default icon for the drive. We copy whatever icon is on the source to the destination, since the icon itself is a file like any other.

The internal icon isn't "pristine", but rather a different default. When that same (lack of) icon is applied to a FireWire drive, you get the FireWire drive icon.

The only way to reset this is by using an after-copy script. There's a post on the forum with a little script that'll do it, along with instructions: it's sticky, and shows up at the top of the General forum.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM

OK, I'll give it a try. I've never tried to write any kind of script, so it's lucky someone else did, else I'd have to actually learn to do it. I'm not averse to work, I can watch people working all day. Thanks. Dale.