Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM

Naming the clone drive

Hi, before I started using SD!, whist I was researching it, I read in quite a few places that for best results the HDD onto which the clone is being copied should have exactly the same name as the drive your cloning, ie. Macintosh HD. For the last 8 months of using SD! I've done this and the few times I've needed to use the clone to restore my HDD it's worked fine.

My question is, is this true however? Do the two drives need to have the same name?

I ask because I'm about to make a third clone, meaning I'll have 2 external HDD's on the desktop called Macintosh HD plus the internal HDD of the same name. All a bit confusing when hungover!

So, can I name the externals according to what's on them, like archive Backup, main backup etc, or am I best to stick to the same names (and not attempt recovery when hungover!) ?

:-)
Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
My question is, is this true however? Do the two drives need to have the same name?
I've never had two volumes with the same name and I've never had a problem. So as far as I know, no, it's not true, the drives don't have to have the same name.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
As justG says, they don't have to have the same name. When you start up from a backup drive, it's best if, at that time, it has the same name, since that will allow aliases to resolve to the right volume if the original volume is available...