Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 05-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Cannot install OS 10.4.7 to external FW partition

I want to install OS X 10.4.7 to an external LaCie FireWire HD partition. The external disk was originally partitioned using Disk Utility running from the OS on the Macintosh HD internal disk. During the install process, running from the install DVD, the Select Destination screen indicates none of the LaCie volumes are eligible for installation: "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." I have copied the system from the Macintosh HD to one of the LaCie volumes using SuperDuper, and I certainly can boot from that LaCie volume. I suppose the issue is how the Installer views the situation.

I ran a "diskutil list" command. It shows the internal Macintosh HD defined with the GUID partition scheme, and the LaCie disk defined with the Apple partition scheme. Is that part of the problem (in addition to me not knowing what I'm doing) ?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Indeed, that's the whole problem. The installer really wants the drive to be partitioned as GUID.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Second that.

I just had the same problem and repartioned an external USB drive with GUID and it installed perfectly.