Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-19-2004, 11:15 AM

Can't boot from firewire disk

I'm sure this one has been around 300 times in the past and while I'm 99.999% convinced this is in no way a problem with the SuperDuper Package or software figured someone has probably seen this issue before and maybe could send me in the right direction.

I have a PowerBook G4 800 (titanium 15" with onboard firewire) and a Buslink 60 (60gig firewire disk.) Well I can set it under system prefs to boot from the firewire and when i reboot it still boots the internal disk. Holding down the option button the laptop never shows the firewire disk as an option to boot from. Some other info hopes of staving off questions.

So if anyone has any thoughts as to why I can't boot from firewire I'd love to hear it. Course maybe this stuff is just to old to support it?

Machine Model: PowerBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.3.7f3

FireWire Bus:

Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed

SYM13FW500-DISK DRIVE:

Capacity: 57.27 GB
Manufacturer: LSI Logic
Model: SYM13FW500-DISK DRIVE
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
OS9 Drivers: No
Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed
Unit Spec Id: 24734
Firmware Revision: Y2S4
Unit Software Version: 10483
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The thing to check, Mr. Duck, is whether or not this drive is bootable at all, regardless of whether or not there's a clone on it.

To do this, take your OS X disks and install a clean version of OS X on the drive, as minimally as you'd like just to get the OS on there. Try booting from that... does it work?

If not, the drive isn't boot-compatible with the Mac, and would likely explain the problem... let us know!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:28 AM

I had a feeling that was going to be my last option to test this theory. But for some reason was being lazy about attempting to try it that way. Will let you know what's up, and kudo's for the VERY fast response Color me impressed.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Administrator

A pleasure -- I'll look forward to hearing what's up!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:07 PM

Hi,
I have the same computer as NegativeDuck, using OSX 10.3.5, but my firewire drive is from OtherWorld Computing, and I installed two 250 gig Hitachi drives.

If the external firewire drive won't boot up with OSX, how can I get it to do this?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Hi, "arrakian" -- thanks for contributing here!

If the external firewire drive won't boot with OSX, you need to contact OWC to see if they've got a firmware update for the drive that supports FireWire boot. If not, I'd return the case and get one that does!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 PM

I just bought a Seagate external firewire drive and was really annoyed when I discovered couldn't boot from it after cloning my drive to it (I'm using 12" powerbook)
Same as you drive appears as an option in Startup disk system preference but if selected still boots off internal, also doesn't appear as option if I boot with option key. I found this while surfing though, I'm going to try but means recloning about 300GB, not going to happen soon but maybe you may feel like giving a go. Apologies to originator of this info, I just can't remember where I got it.

In the past I have had the symptoms you describe when I have formatted an external drive with disk utility and cloned to it, and not been able to boot. The cause was that for a while (not sure about now) when Disk Utility formatted an external drive it left the "ignore ownership" box in the "Get Info" window ticked. In this situation the clone will happen OK (and it will appear as a bootable option) but not boot. It is no good unticking after the clone. It has to be unticked before the clone.

It may be worth your checking what the "ignore ownership" box says on your Seagate.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Administrator

That seems rather weird. SuperDuper! automatically unchecks that box, and verifies that it's unchecked, before it copies...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 PM

I just bought a LaCie Firewire 400 hard drive, and I seem to be unable to boot from it when it is hooked up to my Powerbook G4. I tried your trick of installing OSX on it, but it didn't work. I am wondering if this workaround would be OK.

Clone my G4 onto the LaCie Hard Drive using SuperDuper. Boot up my PowerbookG4 in firewire disk mode with my iBook running the show. Next, clean the hard drive on my G4, and then use SuperDuper to copy everything back from the LaCie hard drive to the G4. What think you Dave?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Administrator

That sounds like it'll work, Peter. But are you sure it's partitioned as "Apple Partition Map" (or "GUID" for Intel Macs). That's often the reason for a "no-boot"...
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM

can't boot from FW

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm not having any success on the Apple forums. The internal drive on my G5 iMac maybe dead or dying. 3 nights ago apps like PathFinder and Finder windows started to hang. I rebooted a couple times, but the system got very sluggish. I quickly dragged changed data to a FW drive. Then the session hung and the machine would not boot. I booted off of my SuperDuper! FW copy from last weekend and grabbed more data until it hung accessing that drive. I started Disk Utility and got the usual failure when trying to rebiuld the B-tree. From that point I could no longer see the internal drive. That's a great app....

I booted from the Tiger DVD but could no longer mount the internal drive. Tried to boot from the FW drive again and now I can no longer boot from FW either. Nice. Never had that happen before. I know that copy is still bootable as I have two FW drives that I rotate SuperDuper! backups to, neither will boot the iMac, but I can boot my Powerbook from them.

So: I cannot boot from internal as it can't find a system. I cannot boot from bootable FW. When I boot from Tiger DVD the installer cannot find the internal drive to install on it. Disk Utility can find the drive but (as usual) can't repair it (surprise). I let Disk Warrior run for about 24 hrs but always get sick of it and cancel. DW also says that S.M.A.R.T. says hardware is ok...

2 questions: Is it likely my internal drive is dead? Does anyone know why I can no longer boot from the FW drives?

thanks for any thoughts
Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

That's really strange; it certainly sounds like you're having hardware issues... have you tried running the hardware test on the disc that came with your Mac?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Lightbulb

I have been playing with 2 external firewire hds lately;

Maxtor One Touch 500 gig
Western Digital 300 gig firewire/sata

I prefer to use pgp with these external hds but I would not even bother with it. I have spent hours with superduper, pgp, and osx and they do not play well because of pgp mostly.

The Maxtor 500 gig did boot to the firewire drive directly after a superduper backup but I would stay away from the drive.

The Western Digital 300 gig firewire/sata seems like a nice drive but it will not boot directly to the firewire drive even after a fresh install of osx to the drive.

It does show up under the system preferences, startup disk, but as we all know trying to boot to the firewire drive that way never works.

I always use the option key on boot up but that does not work either as of yet.

I will try some of the other boot commands but it is wierd the drive shows up as an option under the startup disk choices.

I will post an update if I resolve this.

If you want to avoid all this stuff try an old seagate external (fw) hd the one that comes in the big square yellow boxes (300/400 gig).

Those drives have worked flawlessly for me over the years with superduper and osx.

Cheers :-)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

What Mac, yaloxx?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 AM

iBook G4 ppc (1.42 Ghz),
osx 10.4.10,
SuperDuper 2.1.4 (v82),

Western Digital - My Book Home 320GB External Hard Drive
Model: WDH1CS3200N SKU: 8472501

Nice quick small drive...

Tried a hfs+ journaled partition, may go unjournaled when I get home see if it goes