Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Time Machine and Super Duper on the same drive

Sorry, but I am sure this has been answered before, but I am new to all of this.

I just bought a 500gb firewire external hard drive and want to use it to back up my mac. However, I also want to use it for time machine. I have read the manual, but I am still not sure how to use the same drive for both super duper and time machine. Any suggestions?

Overall, it is important to retain TM back in time feature while also rateining super duper's bootable drive feature.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The FAQ does cover this, but the general idea is that you should partition the drive into two volumes, one for each purpose, and set TM to one, and SD! to the other.

If you can't partition, you can store the SD! backup on the same drive -- but it's best to partition.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:14 PM

What if?

What if I create a partition for super duper? I just don't want to lose my TM back ups and don't have a spare drive to use.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you can't create a partition, you can store the backup side by side with the Time Machine backup, as explained in the FAQ. But Time Machine will take up as much space as it can over time, so eventually you'll run out.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 PM

Two Partitians

Thanks.

I separated my drive in to two partitions and it works great. Now I finally have a portable drive that both archives (SD!) and backs up (TM) my laptop automatically. Talk about having the best of both worlds!

I appreciate the help guys.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi iisokman- your question is the same that I have...... And I am wondering if you would care to share with me how you did what you did. I have had TM running since January and don't want to lose that information. So if you wouldn't mind outlining for me about your partitioning of your drive (how did you determine size? tips? etc.) and how you then set up SD to be bootable on the same drive as your TM, I would be grateful! I am a newbie to SD and am a bit nervous about this procedure. I did partition a USB drive for my SD backups. The drive I want to use for SD (and already use for TM) is a FireWire drive with 406.77GB available. My MBP hard drive has 77.25GB used on it with a capacity of 185.99GB. Just to give you some idea. I am running Leopard. Thanks for any help, hand holding, tips that you can give me! Judy