Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Problems with Airport disk backup

Hi again,

I'm trying to set up a backup system for two computers using superduper and a seagate freeagent pro attached to an apple airport extreme base station. This is what I've done thus far:

- partitioned the drive into three sections: one for each computer and then a third one for archives/random stuff

- created disk images of each volume I want to back up using SD

- Up until this point everything worked well.

- Then, to test it all, I tried doing an incremental back up with SD. On one computer I got a message that the image could not be mounted. I restarted, same problem. On the other computer, I got a message: "load_hdi: IOHDIXControllerArrivalCallback: timed out waiting for IOKit to finish matching"

So now I'm stuck. Any help to make this work would be greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Pete
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Just to make sure it had nothing to do with the drive, I tried another drive with just one partition and a disk image. Again, when I tried doing an incremental backup, I got the same message:

"load_hdi: IOHDIXControllerArrivalCallback: timed out waiting for IOKit to finish matching"

: (

Just thought of something: Do I have to mount the image each time and then back up to the mounted folder?

Last edited by PDE; 08-23-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If restarting your Mac won't work to clear this problem, what you should do is mount the image in the Finder, and then set things up to back up directly to that mounted image volume, rather than using the "Disk Image..." choice in the pop-up.

Make sense?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 AM

So, I would have to mount the image each time I want to back up? I was hoping that I could use scheduled backup without having to do anything....

Is there any other solution, something I can do to try to fix the issue?

thanks,

Peter
Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

No, it'll still automatically mount the image.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. After lots of hassle and finally getting it to work alright, I've decided that the airport disk is really not a smooth backup solution - just too slow. I'm going back to good old firewire...

thanks,

Peter
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 PM

how to troubleshoot

Hi,
i have been trying to successfully setup a automated backup to a airport disk.
The problem i encounter is that most of the times (or I should say always with one exception) super duper times out (the actual error is: Error | hdiutil: attach failed - Broken pipe) while mounting the image (~130GB).
This, i realize, is not super duper fault, it is the base station fault, which basically crashes during the process. Every time i tried (again, with one lucky exception) I had to unplug the power to restart it.
In that one lucky occasion i was able to manually mount the disk and super duper happily did its jog after that... Every-time since, to have super duper attempt to mount the disk image or to do it manually doesn't make any difference, the base station crashes!
It looks like someone has ben able to make it work so I'm stimulated to insist.
Does anybody has some suggestion on what I should try differently?
Thanks.
Marco
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Hm: haven't ever seen this kind of thing, Marco: might be an issue between the drive and the base station...
Old 01-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Smile

I'm not using Airport, but NFS server over gigabit connection. You would think that's fast enough. I was seeing same errors from IOHDIXControllerArrivalCallback.

After rebooting Mac, mounting image successfully, and redirecting SuperDuper to use it again, SuperDuper once again can do smart incremental backups to the module.

Regards,
-Case
Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

That's a known bug in IOKit that a restart usually clears...