Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2006, 10:52 AM

First Boot Experience, Seagate 400GB PushButton FW Works!

Short version...

A clone boot works perfectly from Seagate 400GB (70002.8 16mb cache).

How would one use the push button on the Seagate HD?

For some reason holding OPTION is the only command to boot from an external FW CD or external FW drive.

(Long Version, First experience with Super Duper and Drive manipulation)

Using Panther 10.3.9 and a Sawtooth PPC 400. Goal was to create a bootable OS X back up clone on a new Seagate drive and back up iTunes Library from another FW Drive
On my first ever attempt to create a boot clone using Super Duper, I created a sparse Image on the wrong drive??? So, spent some time reading this forum's tips and rereading the Super duper manual. Never heard of the Initio version of Firewire and possible boot volume problems. My other Hard drive is an OWC Elite Combo (Seagate 250 GB). The plug and play of OWC was nice, but formating and partitioning of the Seagate drive was easy using disc utility.

The first thing I did was to optimize and rebuild the internal HD OSX volume with Disc Warrior 3.0.2. Used Tech Tools 4.0 to check out everything. Might as well have a bootable drive in good shape on hand.
Remembering to hold down SHIFT on startup so the Startup items didn't load (Safe Boot), the Mac's 20 GB internal drive was cloned using Super Duper to a 20 GB partition on the Seagate drive. Set the Super Duper schedule, then the corresponding Mac wake up in Energy Saver panel. So the computer is on when Super Duper backups run.
IIRC, the setting under "get info" on the boot drive "Ignore ownership on this volume" needs to be unchecked, to boot succesfully. Not sure if I had to do this manually?

Tested the ability to boot from the cloned volume on Seagate drive by holding OPTION down on startup. The new cloned drive showed up as a boot choice. Started and worked perfectly!
For some reason holding OPTION is the only command to boot from an external FW CD or external FW drive.

Holding C doesn't work and my cursor is locked using Option-Command-Shift-Delete. Thought there was another command set to boot multiple drives?

Any other refinements I left out?

Is there a way to use the push button on the Seagate HD? I assume it will initiate and instant backup but I'm kind of afraid of pushing it.

Storagereview.com forum has lots of HD info.

Seagate Pushbutton Combo USB/FW 400GB HD info
372.61 GB, 16mb cache. V 7002.8 ATA 100mb/sec
Seagate (Initio Fire Wire)
Model number ST3400632A

$200 at Frey's outpost.com. The Bounceback Express software that come with the drive does not allow a bootable clone to be made the upgrade pro sw is $59!