Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Sparse Image to Disk.

I used SuperDuper to backup my whole (local) drive to a Sparse Image located on a networked Mac. I now want to take that Image and copy/restore it to a local USB disk but, when I select Disk Image in the source drop-down box, I can browse to its location but I can't select it.

The manual says to use Disk Utility to recover from a disaster. Is this what I need to use to copy the Image to the USB disk. If so, then what is the purpose of choosing a Disk Image (that I can't select) in SuperDuper.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The problem here is that the OSX CD doesn't have full networking capability. So, if this is on a networked Mac, I'd suggest connecting the Mac you want to restore to that Mac in FireWire target disk mode, and then restoring with SD!...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 AM

You have misunderstood me or I did not explain it well. I am not trying to restore another Mac (yet), I am trying to put an Image on a USB disk so I have a bootable backup.

The Image is on Mac number 1, I am booted from Mac number 2 (into OS X, not a restore DVD) and I have mounted Mac number 1's HD (the Mac that stores the Image) over AFP. I want to put that Image onto a USB disk connected to Mac number 2 so I have a bootable backup. For all intents and purposes, the Image appears as if its local, I only mentioned it incase it was a reason why it does not work.

It's not practical to move the USB HDD and it wouldn't make any difference because I can't select a Sparse Image as the Input/Source in SuperDuper. How do select a Sparse Image in SuperDuper? I choose Disk Image in SuperDuper's drop-down box and when I browse to an Image, its grey'd-out. Is it possible?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Ah. No, you can't back up a networked source -- you'd have to "push" the backup from the source side to the drive.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 AM

Ok understood but why can't I select a Local Disk Image either? Let's forget about networks for a minute. I have Sparse Image on my desktop, I have a USB disk attached, I want to use SuperDuper to copy the Image to the USB disk but the Image is still grey'd-out. Why is there an option to select a Disk Image, but one can't be selected?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Because that's for a DMG. If you want to copy a sparse image, open it and select its volume...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 AM

that simple hey. Cheers.