Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Thumbs down Hmmm. Happened to me, too.

I came to the forum to report a mysterious "could not locate the Destination volume" failure this morning. I'll add on to this thread rather than open a parallel one. Although I could quietly recreate my scheduled copy, perhaps my scenario will yield a useful clue for Dave or others.

Wednesday:
  1. Daily smart update of my boot drive ran at 4:30 am (Hobbes --> Hobbes A).
  2. Mid-day: shutdown my Mac because the electric company shut off our power for 20 minutes. Just to be extra safe, I powered down all external hard drives, including Hobbes A and Neptune 160.
  3. Powered my Mac up 30 minutes later. Powered up some external HDs, but excluded Hobbes A (oversight) and Neptune 160 (intentional - not needed).
Thursday:
  1. Greeted with a "Copy Failed" in the morning because Hobbes A could not be located.
  2. Powered on Hobbes A, which mounted fine. "Everything will be fine tomorrow morning," I thought.
Friday (today):
  1. Greeted again with a "Copy Failed" because Hobbes A could not be located. But it's mounted. Hmmm.
  2. Clicked "Copy Now" to kick off the missed copy. This reported a different "Copy Failed" message: "Copy of Hobbes to Hobbes A failed. SuperDuper! got an error: Can't get current settings."
  3. Quit SuperDuper!
  4. Relaunched SuperDuper!, which first reported "Neptune 160" was missing. Dismissed that message, and SuperDuper! reported "Passport" was missing. Dismissed that second message. (I'd done a manual copy of Neptune 160 to Passport about 2 weeks ago. Passport was removed after that, but Neptune 160 was left mounted until Wednesday.)
  5. Clicked "Copy Now" -- Smart Update copied 5000+ files from Hobbes to Hobbes A without a problem.
  6. Quit SuperDuper!
Let's see what happens tomorrow morning.

-- Ward