Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM

Fast. Good. Cheap.

Pick 2.

You can't have all 3.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconnor View Post
For what it's worth, the folks at Parallels haven't updated their software either!
this is not exactly true as (1) there is a stable beta which is available for use (build 5540) and (2) the problem mounting windows volumes in OS X can be solved be installing the latest version of macfuse.

kms
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM

<off-topic>I just wanted to say that troughs of ice cream sound lovely. That is all.</off-topic>
Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Given the profound changes in Leopard, it's not surprising it's taking a while. I'm on my third install of Leopard. I'm not at all sure that Time Machine works all that well; when it was doing a backup of 6.5 gigs the other day (it picked up on a flash drive I had stuck in there), I trying stopping it. On the next reboot, there was a message that 6000+ orphaned files had been deleted; and I've had periodic disk corruption with TM running, on a 3 month old Mini that was stable with Tiger. Carbon Copy Cloner does produce a bootable clone, slowly; but won't update an existing clone and may or may not actually get everything copied with all the metadata right.

There are not a lot of good alternatives to SuperDuper, which suggests that the difficulties with Leopard are substantial.

Last edited by jofallon; 11-14-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: better word
Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Sorry, Daniel. Going as quickly as we can. It's not like we're sitting on our hands, with our heads in troughs of ice cream.
Well, that wasn't the tone of my comment at all of course, but I'm happy with the impending update mentioned. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms_md View Post
this is not exactly true as (1) there is a stable beta which is available for use (build 5540) and (2) the problem mounting windows volumes in OS X can be solved be installing the latest version of macfuse.

kms
True. What I should have said is that they haven't released a production version that is Leopard compatible.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofallon View Post
Given the profound changes in Leopard, it's not surprising it's taking a while. I'm on my third install of Leopard. I'm not at all sure that Time Machine works all that well; when it was doing a backup of 6.5 gigs the other day (it picked up on a flash drive I had stuck in there), I trying stopping it. On the next reboot, there was a message that 6000+ orphaned files had been deleted; and I've had periodic disk corruption with TM running, on a 3 month old Mini that was stable with Tiger. Carbon Copy Cloner does produce a bootable clone, slowly; but won't update an existing clone and may or may not actually get everything copied with all the metadata right.

There are not a lot of good alternatives to SuperDuper, which suggests that the difficulties with Leopard are substantial.
CCC can do smart backups... this has been discussed and is mentioned in the CCC docs: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/s...28&postcount=6
Old 11-14-2007, 04:57 PM

As I reported in another thread, I was faced with this same situation after an early attempt to upgrade to Leopard. I even tried to do a clean install and migrate the data from a "Leopardized" SD backup. The data was fine, but the permissions, etc. were rather confused. The end result was not very stable.

I mention this only as a "be careful" kind of comment, not to lay any blame on SD. They have never claimed the current version was Leopard compatible. Also, I had an entirely different problem going on that made the install less than desirable. My Leopard install disc had flaws, and not ones that were picked up by the integrity screen at the start of the installation process.

So, for the short term, I am employing Time Machine to handle the day to day changes. I will use both Time Machine and SD, once the folks here have cleared it for takeoff.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 AM

alternatives, rather than a long wait

Hi Lucy, and all others wondering "when and what while we wait"...
I need daily reliable backups, and while I use Time Machine, I need multiple solutions. So, for $10 I downloaded a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. For whatever reasons, this app is already Leopard friendly... use it right now! CCC worked flawlessly... so while I have been a huge fan of SuperDuper, I would recommend to anyone concerned about bootable clone backups while we wait in semidarkness for SuperDuper to be updated, just use CCC!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
I love superduper, don't get me wrong. I appreciate your hard work. But it's going on 3 weeks now and I haven't been able to back up my mac. I hope an update is coming soon. Yes, I want it done right, but the amount of time that is acceptable to wait is coming to an end in my opinion.

I don't want to use time machine, or another backup application. I chose superduper!, and paid money for superduper! because that's the application I wanted to use. In all due respect, I hope I get to use it again very soon.
And you were forced to upgraded to Leopard at gunpoint by who???

Last edited by NightOne; 11-15-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOne View Post
And you were forced to upgraded to Leopard at gunpoint by who???
What does that have to do with anything?

I'm not getting into a war of words with other users. You're happy? Great. I'm not, and as someone that paid for superduper I can express that opinion. They said they would update the status on superduper. I said I was happy with that. I don't think that's unreasonable. It matters not to me if you agree.

Although, still waiting...
Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Hi Lucy, and all others wondering "when and what while we wait"...
I need daily reliable backups, and while I use Time Machine, I need multiple solutions. So, for $10 I downloaded a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. For whatever reasons, this app is already Leopard friendly... use it right now! CCC worked flawlessly... so while I have been a huge fan of SuperDuper, I would recommend to anyone concerned about bootable clone backups while we wait in semidarkness for SuperDuper to be updated, just use CCC!
Another alternative is to enjoy 10.4.11 while waiting for Apple to remove the land mines in 10.5.X. I've had a great day with 10.4.11 and its markedly improved Safari. While I sleep, my Mac starts up in the middle of the night to enable SD to continue to work flawlessly to update the three extra copies of the system, apps, and data, after which the Mac shuts down for the rest of the night. I can wait for an SD update to be well-done while Apple works to improve what I think is an unpolished offering in 10.5.X.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBoy View Post
Another alternative is to enjoy 10.4.11 while waiting for Apple to remove the land mines in 10.5.X. I've had a great day with 10.4.11 and its markedly improved Safari. While I sleep, my Mac starts up in the middle of the night to enable SD to continue to work flawlessly to update the three extra copies of the system, apps, and data, after which the Mac shuts down for the rest of the night. I can wait for an SD update to be well-done while Apple works to improve what I think is an unpolished offering in 10.5.X.
I beg to differ, and I've been enjoying Leopard since its release 10/26, and I would not go back to Tiger even if someone paid me to downgrade. The features in Leopard make me not only more productive but have saved me a few times in the last few weeks (Time Machine is great BTW). So far, everything I have works fine except a few programs including of course, SuperDuper, and I have more than 100 applications installed in my MacBook Pro.

Apple has just release the update to Leopard to address a few major issues as well.

So, those of you who are on the fence, I hate to say it, but you don't know what you've been missing.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 AM

I suffered a catastrophic crash caused by my previous backup software. SD was recommended to me by an expert in the field and I have found it to be an extremely reliable application that is well thought out and easy to use. Given the trauma of my prior experience, I'm willing to wait for Leopard while SD gets ready for prime time. The security blanket I feel from my good experience here and the ease with which I can keep three separate copies in three different forms comprise a user experience that is hard to beat in my opinion. I'm willing to wait a reasonable time, especially after reading MacFixit's articles on Leopard the last couple of weeks.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
What does that have to do with anything?

I'm not getting into a war of words with other users. You're happy? Great. I'm not, and as someone that paid for superduper I can express that opinion. They said they would update the status on superduper. I said I was happy with that. I don't think that's unreasonable. It matters not to me if you agree.

Although, still waiting...
What it means is that you could still be using SuperDuper on Tiger.

You are entitled to your opinion. Absolutely. However, when you use words like "acceptable" and imply entitlement, you invite commentary.