Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Backup seems to be changing permissions

I hope this hasn't already been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it here.

I'm running 10.4, and copying from one backup disk to another: neither are boot discs.

One is a drive I call "shared", which has ignore ownership on this drive ticked. This copies some directories that I want to back up to another drive called "backup 1", which has permissions set so that only I can write to it, and no other users.

Everything copies perfectly, but once the copy has run, the "shared" drive has its ignore ownership tick box unticked, and the "backup 1" drive has permissions for all users set to read/write. Exactly the same problem occurs when backing up another set of files to a different drive.

It's annoying, as after every use of Super Duper I have to remember to go into the drives, and reset the permissions manually. I can't see what I've done that causes the permissions on the source and destination drive to change, but they do every time.

The copy is set to "copy newer files", rather than do a smart backup. I guess I need to tell it to ignore something, but I'm not sure what. And even then I can't see why it should remove the "ignore ownership" tick from the source drive. Surely this drive shouldn't be affected by a copy...