Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOne View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. Absolutely. However, when you use words like "acceptable" and imply entitlement, you invite commentary.
I would respond better if anything you said made sense to me. Nothing is wrong with the word acceptable and there is no entitlement in my comments (your accusation is bizarre). I'm one customer giving my opinion. If you want to play PR person for shirt pocket, fine. But telling a customer 3 weeks after a new OS has come out that they shouldn't have upgraded is laughable.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
But telling a customer 3 weeks after a new OS has come out that they shouldn't have upgraded is laughable.
I *am* a Shirt Pocket customer so I speak to you as a fellow user.

See page 2:

http://www.adobe.com/support/product...ardsupport.pdf

I'm done now.

Best wishes
Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 AM

I've been patient so far, but as a paying customer I'm starting to feel left in the dark here. I know you are testing the software thouroughly to make sure it will work but the only information on progress so far is that progress is happening. Some kind of news, anything, would be good. Even documenting some of the issues you've had in getting it to work so we can see why it's taking so long. I don't want to use other software but I may have to try alternatives as I'm sure many of your other customers are doing, as I need the features of superduper.

As a sidenote, because superduper isn't working I have leopard stuck on an external drive. I can't copy the volume to the internal using disk util as the internal volume is slightly smaller (but the external volume is not full). Can anyone recommend another fail-safe way of copying the volume across? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:16 AM

I tested Carbon Copy Cloner on my Macs last night, and successfully created bootable Leopard clones to external FW on both; so, there is a seemingly viable alternative right now. That said, I'm a loyal SD customer, and look forward to the polished new version of SD that Dave N will release when it's fully baked.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hey, everyone? Stop attacking each other. If you're frustrated and need a punching bag, feel free to punch me, OK?

I really don't want to have to start moderating comments -- I've never deleted anything but spam on this forum, even when people start plugging other products, etc. So -- please -- treat each other with respect.

You're welcome to express your frustration -- I'm frustrated too -- but direct that frustration at me.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

One of the big challenges, by way of updating, is ensuring we can not just copy a Leopard install -- which is relatively easy -- but can also copy (and Smart Update) a Time Machine volume without doing a "low-level" copy... and also handle the types of file layouts Time Machine employs when used by other applications, should they choose to.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
One of the big challenges, by way of updating, is ensuring we can not just copy a Leopard install -- which is relatively easy -- but can also copy (and Smart Update) a Time Machine volume without doing a "low-level" copy... and also handle the types of file layouts Time Machine employs when used by other applications, should they choose to.
Just so I understand: Are you saying that you feel pretty comfortable with SuperDuper's behavior on Leopard when it's backing up non-TM volumes? That your focus at this point is getting it working for backing up TM volumes properly?

The reason I ask is that if you have a version of SuperDuper! that works well for the former case, I'd be interested in getting that ASAP, even if it didn't work on TM volumes. If I do end up using TM, I'm planning to use it with an external drive anyways, one that I didn't intend to clone via SuperDuper!.

If I have completely misunderstand the point you were trying to make, kindly ignore my request.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Yes, but it's unlikely we'd release a "public beta" of SD! with only that capability. We just haven't completed all our tests, and the changes necessary for full support affect the "cloner", which is critical for all operations.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:14 AM

I agree with Lyle, why would you want to make a backup of a backup ? I have no need to clone Time Machine. I sure hope that's not what we are waiting on. Just give me my old SD with Leopard compatibility.

Dick
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Let me emphasize again: it's not just that Time Machine uses these new capabilities. Any application can do so. Properly handling these cases is important for proper copying.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Wow, I never thought there will be such a polemic discussion

As I see it, those who updated early to Leopard, should have taken into consideration that there are still, important apps that are NOT fully working, reliable enough or plainly useless for Leopard yet.
This is my case, I can NOT upgrade because MOTU's Digital Performer Audio recording application (vital for my line of work) is not yet fully compatible with Leopard, thus turning my anxious desire to update, into an exercise on patience, which btw, I consider some of us should practice a little.

Now, if some of the people here already took the plunge, well, you'll have to practice patience want it or not! that is only IF you need to use SD with the confidence that WE ALL are used to. I do not doubt that CCC is a great utility, but IMO SD is superior and just for that single reason I personally would wait the time it takes.

Very few people in the Software Industry, gets as deep into servicing his/her customers as Dave does. I am sure that most of us recognize this, and if it was only for the service provided here by Dave, I would wait even longer.

This also reminds me of a traffic jam on which some guys start to get desperate and sound the car's horn without noticing that the street is being repaired a few meters ahead, just to prevent cars from damaging.
Nothing is achieved by the horn sounding, because that is not going to make the repair process any faster
Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazruanova View Post

As I see it, those who updated early to Leopard, should have taken into consideration that there are still, important apps that are NOT fully working, reliable enough or plainly useless for Leopard yet.
This is my case, I can NOT upgrade because MOTU's Digital Performer Audio recording application (vital for my line of work) is not yet fully compatible with Leopard, thus turning my anxious desire to update, into an exercise on patience, which btw, I consider some of us should practice a little.

Now, if some of the people here already took the plunge, well, you'll have to practice patience want it or not! that is only IF you need to use SD with the confidence that WE ALL are used to. I do not doubt that CCC is a great utility, but IMO SD is superior and just for that single reason I personally would wait the time it takes.

Very few people in the Software Industry, gets as deep into servicing his/her customers as Dave does. I am sure that most of us recognize this, and if it was only for the service provided here by Dave, I would wait even longer.

This also reminds me of a traffic jam on which some guys start to get desperate and sound the car's horn without noticing that the street is being repaired a few meters ahead, just to prevent cars from damaging.
Nothing is achieved by the horn sounding, because that is not going to make the repair process any faster
finally some wise and calm words in here i can second this keep up with the good work dave and release when things are done and run solid
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazruanova View Post

Slow Clap
Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM

the wait

To those who are waiting for Leopard to get the little bugs worked out, and for SuperDuper to be Leopard friendly, I say: that is fine! But, my earlier point is that for those of us enjoying Leopard already, there is simply no need to go w/o proper backups. By suggesting CCC, I was endorsing that program from years of usage... never with any problems. I like the SuperDuper GUI better, but, hey... both really end up doing the same thing. So, if you are using Leopard, and want a good clone backup (bootable), do not take a chance, and use some other method to make your back ups. I would not trust my valuable data to a no back up scenario... waiting for SuperDuper is fine, but be wise and use an alternative for the time being.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOne View Post
Wow, LOL for the duration of the movie, please make it a little faster