Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 AM

duplicate application icons under 'open with'

Hi. SuperDuper is a great program!
But, perhaps it has something do with a problem I've been experiencing under OS 10.4.1... (and earlier OS X's too).

When I go to select an application to 'open with,' using the 'get info,' setting... there are duplicates... sometimes several duplicates of each application under the choices... I went to the Apple Discussion boards and found this post...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....1@.68b1db0c/0

which lists another person who has a similar problem who also uses Super Duper, and points to someone else with the same complaint... is this a Super Duper thing, or is it something else, and if it either, does anyone have any clues about what to do about it?
Thanks

My computer is a PowerBook 12" 1.33 with 1.25gb of RAM and a 60gb 4200 rpm hard drive using OS 10.4.1 and I'm using the latest version of SuperDuper according to the program when I select 'check for upgrade,'
Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, alabamian. The issue here is that the LaunchServices cache -- something built into OSX -- has copies from both the boot volume and the copy.

It's pretty easy to fix: see this Mac OSX Hints article and follow the steps to reset the cache:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31215144430486

(The command to use, in Terminal is:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
You can copy that and paste it into Terminal. Once it's done, reboot, and the duplicates will be gone.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:18 PM

thanks for the link to that tip. it worked like a charm.

any thoughts on maybe including that as an post cloning option? Between having my original list, cloning to the external, and re-syncing from the external to my pb, I had !!!3!!! of each application in the open with menu.

while the fix is really easy, discovering it is more work. i would definitely welcome a checkbox to run this as a post processing option, if it's possible. if not, maybe a little disclaimer in the explanation window. i wouldn't have thought to check the manual, so while that's a good place to have this kind of info, i'd also have it elsewhere.

maybe if it's not an option for immediately after the cloning process, have an option for it from within the program.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Administrator

It's kind of a problem in Launch Services that we've always hoped would be fixed. I'll consider putting together a little script that can be used like in the "disable_spotlight" FAQ that could do this...
Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 AM

now I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I had duplicates show up again even though I didn't do any cloning or restoring. I think I did mount my clone volume for a bit, though. Would that have anything to do with getting more duplicates?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Yes, it would. If you think about it, you've got extra copies of your applications available. The OS seems them appear, and keeps track of them -- so, you've got > 1 copy of the app, and both are shown.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:40 AM

SuperDuper is a great app I've just registered and started using, but I'm also having this issue of duplicate icons after every backup. I'd also really appreciate a checkbox which fixes it automatically after every backup - although I've noticed this tends to provoke the 'This is the first time you've used this application...' message. If the solution could also take care of this it would be great.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Another solution would be to keep the backup drive unmounted. That way, LaunchServices doesn't have a chance to re-scan the applications, and so you should only have one. When you schedule a backup, we'll automatically mount the backup drive, copy and unmount.