Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 05-15-2005, 07:05 PM

Smart update copying all files each time

I have two external firewire drives - one contains mp3s, the other has a number of partitions, each used for backing up various drives.

Since I upgraded to Tiger it seems like SuperDuper! is copying all files from one disk to another when I do a Backup. eg, a few days ago I did a backup of the MP3 drive to its backup copy - all files were copied (it took nearly two hours). I assumed maybe this was something to do with my recent Tiger install, and that it would be OK next time.

But I just did another backup, and again it seems to copy all files - 1h 45m. So I've just tried again, not long after it finished, and it's started to copy everything once more - ten minutes in and it hasn't got far through the files.

Maybe I've done something silly to cause this, but I can't think what... Any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hm. It sounds like the MP3's are all 'floating', which might cause them to be copied more than once.

There's a way to fix this, if you're comfortable with the Terminal... are you?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:18 PM

Yup, fire away!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Administrator

OK. You need to figure out your default group and short uid (use "whoami" and "groups"). Once done, use the following command on the MP3 volume, after ensuring Ownership is on:

sudo chown -R short-user-name:group /Volumes/the-mp3-volume/*

Once done, use SD! two times, and the 2nd time it shouldn't copy so much.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:47 AM

I have the same issue for an external firewire drive that only contains my iTunes music library. When I use SD! to smart update that drive to another external drive, it copies all the files each time (~2hours). Smart updates of my internal hard drive work as expected.

In terminal, the owner, group, and permissions seem to be set identically for files in my ~ folder as they are for the files on my iTunes drive. The group is listed as the same name as my username. Should I chown/chgrp the group to be 'admin' instead? (my primary user account is a member of the admin group)
Old 05-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Administrator

No, that shouldn't be necessary. If you use the following to look at some of the files that you think get copied every time:

sudo ls -l "a folder you're suspicious of"

Do you get a different value for the user and group than you do without the sudo?
Old 05-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
OK. You need to figure out your default group and short uid (use "whoami" and "groups"). Once done, use the following command on the MP3 volume, after ensuring Ownership is on:

sudo chown -R short-user-name:group /Volumes/the-mp3-volume/*

Once done, use SD! two times, and the 2nd time it shouldn't copy so much.
Hmm, that doesn't seem to have worked - I did as you suggest and the second time it's still copying every file.

I don't understand what "ensuring Ownership is on" means though - maybe that's the missing ingredient?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Ensuring ownership is on means that you need to do a "Get Info" on the drive, and ensure that "Ignore ownership on this volume" is NOT checked.

I'm not sure, at present, why it would be copying these files every time. Could you please provide me with an "ls -l" of one of the files on the source and destination volumes, running the ls -l with and without sudo? In other words, if there's a file in the root that's being copied called "foo.mp3", you'd do:

ls -l /foo.mp3
sudo ls -l /foo.mp3

and, on the backup:

ls -l /Volumes/my-backup-volume/foo.mp3
sudo -s -l /Volumes/my-backup/volume/foo.mp3

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:18 PM

Here you go:

Code:
$ ls -l /Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/ACO/Unknown\ Album/Creep.mp3 
-rw-r--r--   1 phil  staff  6193130 Apr 30  2004 /Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ACO/Unknown Album/Creep.mp3
$ sudo ls -l /Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/ACO/Unknown\ Album/Creep.mp3 
-rw-r--r--   1 unknown  unknown  6193130 Apr 30  2004 /Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ACO/Unknown Album/Creep.mp3
$ ls -l /Volumes/Music\ Backup/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/ACO/Unknown\ Album/Creep.mp3 
-rw-r--r--   1 phil  staff  6193130 Apr 30  2004 /Volumes/Music Backup/iTunes/iTunes Music/ACO/Unknown Album/Creep.mp3
$ sudo ls -l /Volumes/Music\ Backup/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/ACO/Unknown\ Album/Creep.mp3 
-rw-r--r--   1 unknown  unknown  6193130 Apr 30  2004 /Volumes/Music Backup/iTunes/iTunes Music/ACO/Unknown Album/Creep.mp3
Old 05-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Administrator

OK, that's what I thought you'd see -- those files are all floating, which is why you're seeing them change ownership when you run with and without sudo.

What's weird is that chowning them didn't chown -- which leads me to believe you didn't do it quite right.

So, do the following:

sudo chown -R phil:staff /Volumes/Music/iTunes/*
sudo chown -R phil:staff /Volumes/Music\ Backup/iTunes/*

Then, restart and give the backup another try.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:04 PM

That worked a treat! Thanks so much - super quick!

However, I'm having a similar problem with backing up my main drive - a few files always seem to be copied to the backup drive no matter what. I can do a backup only seconds after the last one finished and it'll still take 12-15 minutes to complete...
Old 05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Administrator

If you look at your SuperDuper!.log after one of these "seconds after" backups, how many files does it say it has copied? (Look at the number of files, NOT the size.)
Old 05-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Looks like 8,526...?

Code:
|11:45:08 PM|Info|       Scanned 481468 items occupying 47.84 GB (85678 directories, 387921 files, 7869 symlinks)
|11:45:08 PM|Info|       Copied  8526 items totaling  47.77 GB (38 directories, 622 files, 7866 symlinks)
|11:45:08 PM|Info|       Cloned  47.77 GB of data in 910 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 53.75 MB/s
Old 05-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

More like 622. (The 7866 symlinks need to be copied every time.)

Is it pretty consistently 622? Those are going to be terribly difficult to find, though they're likely in your Home folder. We can try the same chown trick there, if you'd like...
Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 PM

When I used sudo with ls, the user and group of files on my iTunes partition were listed as 'unknown'... which suprised me as when I ran ls as myself it seemed ok.
So I ran the chown command as listed in a pervious post and now everything works as I expected.
Thanks for a quick reply.