Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-03-2007, 04:37 PM

Restoring- Strange results

Hi!

I managed to successfully restore a rental macbookpro with my disc image while mine is repaired. I think....

I started up (option key) on the backup drive and then erased and copied my backup to the laptops "Macintosh HD". I used the repair permissions on backup option too..

When I restarted on the newly copied drive many of my dock icons were not recognized ("?" icons) once I clicked to launch many of those they restored fine (seemingly) Many others however were replaced with pictures (jpegs, tiffs) and other strange files from random places on my HD. Weird!

I went to try and copy the backup to the HD again and it didn't recognize it as a place to copy to. (Is that cause I'm running from there?)

Also several of the programs I started asked for serial numbers again. Is this going to happen everytime I restore??

Any other ideas of things I might want to check to be sure it's all good?

Thanks, J
Old 08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Try rebuilding your Launch Services database with Onyx or Cocktail. The programs asking for their SNs are likely noticing that the computer is different...
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Same thing here... I have tried to restore multiple times and always with the same results. Since it has never happened under OS X 10.4.9 I have came to conclusion that it is due to some kind of incompatibility issues between SD and OS X 10.4.10. Just to be sure I have just restored my old 10.4.9 image without any problems. Proceeded with restoration of 10.4.10 and all those problems returned..?! I find it very surprising that no one else on this board noticed this odd SD behavior before, unless everyone here is still using OS X 10.4.9...

Last edited by leslie; 08-05-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

There are strange things with LaunchServices in 10.4.10. It's not really SD! specific -- they've definitely added some, um, "features".
Old 08-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Wow, that was a quick reply I do have Cocktail, but I don't seem to find rebuild LaunchServices... Is there another way to do it?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

You can run the following in Terminal:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
-kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks again dnanian, saved the command for future use
P.S. Quick edit - silly me I have just found it in Cocktail 3.7.5 »» System »» Misc. »» Rebuild LaunchServices Database

Last edited by leslie; 08-05-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Angry

I am having the same exact problem using the latest version of SuperDuper! and 10.4.10.

Using other clone/backup tools, there is no issue. Please note that I have about 31 icons on my Dock.... IF that would make any difference.

Also:

Why do you need people's birthday?!!!!

Why do we have to go through reading those silly characters when doing a simple search here?!!!! It's really a waste of time when someone needs a quick solution to an urgent issue!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM

A quick update: Just to re-confirm, I used NetRestore 3.3.6 which came out long before 10.4.10, to restore the same image created by SuperDuper and no problem with the icons on DOCK. Every single one of them looked and worked as supposed to.

Therefore, I am certain there is an issue with this version of your software.

P.S. Some of us need to learn to give a chance to free software applications as well!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure what you're complaining about with "silly characters", Ramin. The birthday is simply so we can send you best wishes.

If you rebuild your LaunchServices database, your icons should work properly...
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM

Hi there,
I'm having similar problems here with a 10.4.10 clone. first thing I noticed was the "More Info..." button in the "About This Mac" window led to an obscure resource file within the address book application, instead of system profiler. after some googling, I rebuilt Launch Services database w/ Onyx, and that was fixed. but then, a day or so later, a couple of dock shortcuts also led to seemingly random files, often within application packages. I ran AppleJack, and then rebuilt my database with Diskwarrior. When I rebooted, instead of application shortcuts in my dock for Illustrator and InDesign, there were zero-K files in my trash, named "PathForApplication.ai" and "PathForApplication.indd", with the correct icons.

Anyhow, now, several days later, it just happened again -- a shortcut in my dock led to some ".nib" file - I think within Address Book.

Any thoughts? is my newly rebuilt sytem hosed? Things seem to be working otherwise, but these issues give me pause.

I should add, love SuperDuper! (never had a problem before this, and it's helped me out immensely!)

thanks,
David
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I'm confused -- you can't rebuild your LaunchServices database with DiskWarrior, David. Did you rebuild LaunchServices a second time?