Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Advice request: automating SD!

I'm setting up a college student's iMac and need some expert advice.
  1. Schedule Backups. The manual states, "SuperDuper! does not have to be running for a schedule backup to take place, but ... the screen must be unlocked." What does "unlocked" mean? The iMac will be configured to wake up one minute before the SD! backup, but it is password protected. If it's password protected, does this mean that the screen is "locked," so SD! will not run?
  2. Disk. Is there any reason that I shouldn't partition an external USB drive and use one partition for a SD! clone and another partition for TimeMachine?
  3. Open Applications. When I run SD! I meticulously make sure that all programs are closed, etc. What happens if SD! runs and several programs are open, such as Safari and iTunes for example?
Thanks for your advice and tips!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you need a password and the Mac is asleep and wakes, it'll go to sleep too soon for the backup to start.

I recommend in general that you partition a drive if you want to use it for TM and SD (see Help > Frequently Asked Questions). Separate drives is even better so if your backup drive fails you'll have another to fall back on, but may not be practical.

Most applications can be open when SD runs. Active data files, for obvious reasons, can be a problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Is there any way to work around this, Dave? School policy requires her computer to be password protected, and a little bot monitors this, along with the antivirus software.

Thanks for your help!! SD! and Shirt Pocket are amazing, both in terms of product quality and support. Wow -- uber "thank you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
If you need a password and the Mac is asleep and wakes, it'll go to sleep too soon for the backup to start.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Administrator

If you don't allow the Mac to sleep, it should work. Otherwise, not that I can think of (although you could make copies when the Mac isn't asleep, of course).
Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Thanks Dave. You guys are great. Always helpful!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question and answer, but I've been running SD! on a schedule after waking from sleep in the middle of the night for years.

I have scheduled wake up at 3:00am daily with SD! scheduled to run at 3:03am. Other parameters: requires password 1 minute after sleep or screen saver begins; screen saver starts at 10 minutes; computer and display sleep at 15 minutes.

Lew
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Different Macs go to sleep at different rates...