Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Cool

I just started getting this error on one of my backups. In the past an erase and copy fixed it. I'm getting the same error when running a disk verify on the source and I have not restored from a backup. This means the target is just a faithful clone of the source (complete with ACL errors). I'm not sure if the ACL errors on the source were somehow caused by SD's calls to metadata copying (which wouldn't be SD's fault, but could be causing a tiger but to surface), or happened in some other way and SD is just innocently copying.

I'm going to have to bring the server off line to repair the source, then run an erase and copy to get back on track.

Here is a feature request for the future of SD, its not an easy one, but would ad huge value. It would be great if SD could verify the volume integrity as part of the clone. I don't mean just calling Apple's diskutil, I mean writing your own volume verification stuff and integrating it into SDcopy. This could be another option, with choices on what to do if problems are found (halt copy, repair, etc).

In my backup script I automatically run diskutil verifyVolume on the target after SD runs, but if there is some problem (like the above) I only know it after it has already been copied to my target. If the source is the boot drive, there is no good way to run verify or repair the volume prior to SD running.

I know that writing some disk utility stuff from scratch is far from trivial, and may well be considered outside the scope of SD, but you DO have good knowledge and understanding of the low level file system inner-workings, and I think it would add value to the app in that Users could no that the integrity of the backup was ensured (like repair disk permissions but X 10).

I was bit hard once by SD faithfully cloning disk errors that went unnoticed through my three week offsite rotation (I have SD run nightly, onto one of three disks that are rotated offsite weekly).

Sorry that I wandered off-topic.

-Preston

BTW, Tiger Server, SD 2.5 - plans to move to leopard this summer...

Last edited by prestonholmes; 04-06-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: updated system info