Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 AM

Encrypted Backup Solution

I recently removed FileVault from my MacBook (another story) but I still felt the need to create an encrypted backup for offsite storage where I don't have good control over the removable drive. I searched a bit on the forum for a solution and didn't see one, so here goes:

I simply created an encryped sparseimage file on my external Firewire drive and then did a SuperDuper backup to that drive. I then copied it over to my removable USB drive for offsite purposes. I realize:

1) I could have created the image directly on the USB drive but I was having trouble creating it (size?) and the transfer speed was painful. This way, I can quickly do a Smart Update to the copy of the image file on the FD drive and it only takes a hour or so to do the transfer from the FD to the USB drive. The total time is less than it would have taken to do the direct transfer. Also, it doesn't hurt to have an extra backup sitting around!

2) I know the encryped file wont be bootable but i don't care because I have the FD for that and in the offsite file is for "worst-case" scenarios at which point I can boot from an Install disk, mount the image, and then do a restore.

It seems to work so I thought I would share it. Maybe somebody has already covered this and I haven't seen it on the forum so sorry if that is the case.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 AM

Using an encrypted disk image as the target for SuperDuper! backups seems to be becoming more and more popular.
Perhaps the developers should add the ability to create an encrypted target disk image directly from within the SuperDuper! "Disk Image..." dialog rather than needing to use Disk Utility to create it manually.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 AM

Gee, I thought I was a genuis here!

Anyway, it should be added as an option because this has to be a concern for many people. I actually kept looking for this option which is why I had to come up with this idea in the first place.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Thanks for the suggestions, though it's truly not something that a lot of users are requesting... but it's something we're aware of.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Creating an encrypted image is part of the standard OS disk image handling routines, right?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Timmy, it's not that it's something we couldn't do. It's something that I'm not convinced we should do.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM

I realize the problems you open yourself up to if you include this feature, namely that you get the blame if something happens to the encryted image and the user can't access his back up.

Having said that, it is an important feature and one that would add value to the product, but what do I know?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

The problem is actually that every added feature adds complexity. If it's not something that's needed by most and has a pretty simple workaround (namely a one-time image creation with Disk Utility), it's exactly the kind of thing I usually choose to leave out.

I realize this can be frustrating for the few that want the feature, but it's also part of what keeps SuperDuper! focused, simple and usable.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Timmy, it's not that it's something we couldn't do. It's something that I'm not convinced we should do.
Still no support for this in 2.6.2?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

No, my general opinion on this hasn't changed. But we do have specific support for PGPWDE in 2.6.2...