Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 AM

Back up to secondary HDD over network?

I want to back up my powerbook G4 (running 10.4.9) over my wireless network overnight. My wife's computer (a G5 powermac, running 10.3.9) has the perfect space - a second HDD with ample space. I have partitioned that drive to make a lovely home for my powerbook data, but... I can't see that HDD over the network.

So I guess this isn't really a Superduper question as such, but it's one that I'm sure many users will have encountered. How can you access a secondary HDD over a network? I can certainly see the G5, and can log into accounts on it, but can't "see" anything that is not on the same HDD as the G5's startup disk. If I can't see it, I can't back up to it.

Is there a bit of OSX kung fu I can use? Or do I have to rethink my entire backup strategy?

Thanks in advance,
Paul G.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You should be able to see the volume using regular "File Sharing", Paul...
Old 06-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
You should be able to see the volume using regular "File Sharing", Paul...
Well, that's what I thought too. Which makes me think I'm doing something wrong, because I can't seem to.
Here's what I'm doing: I click on Network, and then choose the G5. That shows a graphic saying "To see the available shares for the server G5, click Connect".
I do so. A popup appears: "Connect to the fileserver G5. Connect as Guest/Registered User."
I enter the name and password: it says "G5. Select the volumes to mount", with a list of the various users. I choose "Paul", and it mounts Paul as a disc on my sidebar.
So, now I can access all files that are on the User "Paul". But I can't see how I can use that to access the secondary HDD, which is where the space is for the backup. I could mount other users instead, but they are all on the G5's main drive too.
Where am I going wrong? How do I navigate to the second HDD? I'm sure I'll feel silly when I hear the answer...
Thanks in advance folks.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Try making sure the external HDD is set with permissions that allow any user to read/write to it.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Try making sure the external HDD is set with permissions that allow any user to read/write to it.
It's not actually an external HDD - it's a second internal HDD. It's split into three partitions. Does that make a difference?

Anyway, I've made it so ownership is ignored on that disk. But that hasn't helped - when I connect, the only options are for mounting users, not mounting disks. All the users are on the startup disk (of course), so I can't navigate 'further down the trunk' to get to the other disk.

So I'm really stuck. I really appreciate you trying, Dave. Anyone else out there who has faced this problem? Maybe there is another way to network, other than using the means of connection that I've been trying?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

I don't know why this is happening: once you've authenticated, you should get a list of available volumes, not users. Anyone else have an idea here?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 AM

I think I might know what is going on here. I have seen it in my home and I researched it and found anecdotal reports of similar things from others on various Macintosh forums. Here's what sometimes happens:

* File sharing is set up properly on a Mac running 10.3.9
* Other Macs running 10.4.x on the network may not be able to "see" a secondary (i.e. not the boot drive) drive on the 10.3.9 computer even though file sharing is set up properly.

Here is what was recommended on the forums that I read, and I followed this and it worked for me:

* On the 10.3.9 Mac whose files you want to share from its secondary disk, open System Preferences, select Sharing, then *turn off* File Sharing. Then close System Preferences. Then open System Preferences again, select Sharing, and enable File Sharing. Then exit System Preferences.

When I have done this, then the secondary disk is now suddenly "visible" on the 10.3.9 Mac and usable from the other Macs on the network (which happen now to be running 10.4.9, but this also happened with earlier versions of 10.4.x).

Due to a bug in the 10.3.9 OS, after some period of time the secondary disk may become not visible to these other Macs even though Sharing has been on. I have never figured out what causes this, but I suspect it might be caused when the 10.3.9 Mac is rebooted and somehow the sequence of things doesn't work right (due to that bug I mentioned). It shouldn't happen but it sometimes does with 10.3.9. I don't think this happens when Sharing is enabled on a 10.4.x computer.

Another thing I have read about is that some secondary disks don't show up in some circumstances unless the remote user is logged in as an administrator. Another thing to watch out for is if user B is logged in locally on the 10.3.9 machine as an administrator and ownership has been "ignored" on the secondary disk, then the system acts like user B "owns" and "takes over" that entire secondary disk and when user A logs in from a remote computer, even if A is an administrator, A might not be able to see or access that secondary disk.

To see if any of this is affecting you, try the following:

Do the toggle thing as described above to disable Sharing on the 10.3.9 computer and then re-enable it. Then log out all local users on the 10.3.9 computer but leave it on. See if you can see and use the secondary drive from your 10.4.9 Mac.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Bingo! Thanks so much. Now it comes up with the secondary HDD partitions as volumes as well as the users on the main disk.
Now I need to set up some way of scheduling my computer to mount that drive just before Superduper starts its scheduled backup. Any tips on the best way to do that? I'm not really familiar with Automator - is that the program I should be looking at? Is there somewhere I might download pre-written script templates for this?
Thanks again,
Paul.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Hey, glad that works. SD! will mount the drive itself when scheduled...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 PM

Well, that's all working great. Thanks to all.
Only one thing not quite perfect - it's not unmounting the volume after finishing the backup, which then makes the laptop hang during shutdown if I don't remember to unmount it myself.
Any advice?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

If the backup was directly to the drive, it certainly should mount and unmount if the drive will unmount... other things could be interfering (antivirus programs, etc).
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
If the backup was directly to the drive, it certainly should mount and unmount if the drive will unmount... other things could be interfering (antivirus programs, etc).
Well, it unmounts fine if I manually do it. How do you mean, "directly to the drive" - is there another way it could be backing up? I thought I followed the setup in the guide pretty accurately...
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

I mean not to an image stored on a drive, but directly to the drive itself. Also, if the drive's mounted when the backup starts, it's not going to unmount...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I mean not to an image stored on a drive, but directly to the drive itself. Also, if the drive's mounted when the backup starts, it's not going to unmount...
Okay, now I'm confused... The guide says (in Backing Up Over a Network) "Superduper cannot write directly to the network volume itself. Instead, you must store your backup in an image..." So that's what I've done - but it sounds like you're saying I shouldn't be storing it in an image, but directly to the drive.
Can you clarify?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Sorry. The thread's been going on so long I didn't remember you were going to a network. The intermediate volume (where the image is stored) is not ejected.