Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 AM

Smile My Trip To the Apple store (and a successful SuperDuper! conversion!)

First off I'd just like to say how happy I am that you guys provide this wonderful and useful program, it's saved my behind many times, and is worth far more than the $28 I payed for it.

I just upgraded my internal drive (10.5.1) on my 17" mb pro from an 100 gb 7.2k rpm to a 200 gb 7.2k rpm hitachi, and thanks to SuperDuper! it was a completely painless process. (I've had the drive for weeks and was just waiting on the 2.5 release :-D) [Also, props to the guys who make winclone, it worked equally as well for my bootcamp partition]

Anyway, on to my story, sorry about the long winded intro.

Last Friday I went into the Burlington Apple Store (Massachusetts represent!) because my optical drive has been making coasters out of every type of media I try and burn in it. Fortunately for me, the geniuses there are pretty friendly, and if you catch them when they're not swamped with people who just need their ipods restored, they'll do you a favor if you're nice to them.

Luckily, I'd caught them between crowds, and while I was hanging out at the "bar" waiting for them to replace my superdrive, I couldn't help but listen to the women next to me talk to one of the geniuses. Apparently her hard drive was failing, and would lock up occasionally. He told her they'd replace it, but that she'd have to backup her data herself, and suggested a 160 gb Lacie Rugged drive. She had backups at home, but didn't know of what exactly, but more importantly, she wanted to keep all her applications and settings, and the apple genius was telling her that she couldn't.

I was basically bursting at the seams while i waited for the genius to finish talking to her, and tell her she didn't have to worry, for there was hope, and that hope was SuperDuper! Fortunately, she didn't look at me as if I were a crazy person when i started blabbing about SD. She listened, and I showed her the website, explained what the hell a partition was, and what a bootable backup was. I told her, being the SD enthusiast that I am, that I would help her backup her drive if she wanted to buy SD and give it a shot. She logged on at the apple store, bought a license, and we partitioned her new external in half, and started a backup. I left about halfway through (30 minutes or so) and left her my email and instructions on how to complete the relatively simply restore process.

She just emailed me back:

Quote:
Hey Paul,

You saved my computer! After superduper finally downloaded on my laCie I asked them to make sure that the problem was not copied as well. It wasn't, they rebooted, and problem was solved.

the heart transplant was needed after all. thanks to you (& superduper)!
Anyway, just spreading my love of SuperDuper! Hope this story inspires you to go out and help your friends, loved ones, and in my case, complete strangers, avoid data loss hell, by setting them up with SuperDuper!