Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2020, 12:34 AM

Hi Dave, I've been using SuperDuper for many years.

I have two types of clones right in use:

(1) Clone of an HFS+ disk with ONLY raw and jpg files -- cloned to another HFS+ disk (neither the source or destination disks are bootable). These data are photo files, but they are used in a business and it is essential that they be backed up, we even have multiple such backups kept in different locations. Each disk is several TB, and we have many of them (too many for an online backup service to be used).

(2) Complete clone of a 10.15.15 internal Mac SSD. This disk has a second volume "Data" as previously discussed in an earlier post. As with the other poster, I can tell that the backup of the "Data" volume does have the same number of GB as the source, but it is not visible in the finder.

We care most about the integrity of the (1) backups, those are absolutely essential. The (2) type of backup is redundant in principle with separate Time Machine backups. My questions are:

Are the (1) backups good -- I can see from inspection all the files seem to be copied, after all.

Are the (2) backups usable in an emergency to recover from -- even if not bootable, can Migration Assistant for instance, bring those files over?

Last edited by sdsl; 07-02-2020 at 12:36 AM.